Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Phil Hellmuth: Donk or not?

I was just curious about what everyone else thinks about his highness. I've never once been impressed with his play; furthermore, I think that all Hellmuth is good at is self-promotion. He's a total jerk at the table, doesn't know how to adjust his play to better take advantage of his opponents proclivities, has a terribly whiny voice,and is a blight on the face of poker (though not anywhere near the blight that is Jamie Gold!) Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth: Donk or not?

[ QUOTE ]
I was just curious about what everyone else thinks about his highness. I've never once been impressed with his play; furthermore, I think that all Hellmuth is good at is self-promotion. He's a total jerk at the table, doesn't know how to adjust his play to better take advantage of his opponents proclivities, has a terribly whiny voice,and is a blight on the face of poker (though not anywhere near the blight that is Jamie Gold!) Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's horrible, a dinosaur of poker. he hasn't won anything in years, and won't ever again. huge donk.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Define anything and years please? He made 4 final tables at the WSOP last year including one win. I'm not a Hellmuth fan but I'll give him credit where it's due.

[ QUOTE ]

he's horrible, a dinosaur of poker. he hasn't won anything in years, and won't ever again. huge donk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Define anything and years please? He made 4 final tables at the WSOP last year including one win. I'm not a Hellmuth fan but I'll give him credit where it's due.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here come the fanboys. yeah, sure, whatever. if i played 1000000000 wsop events i'd make 4 FTs too. puh lease.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Just take a look at the awesome folds he made in the past. (WSOP 2005 where he folded AK with A x x on the board while his opponent had pocket Aces.)

Hellmuth is without a doubt one of the best.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here come the fanboys. yeah, sure, whatever. if i played 1000000000 wsop events i'd make 4 FTs too. puh lease.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. 5th level, right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. 5th level, right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

sssshhhh...
Old 05-17-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Hellmuth is one of the greatest players ever. He would destroy all of his detractors in a game. A lot of you young donks suffer from excessive self-confidence. Phil has ten bracelets. He has the most cashes ever. Here are Phil's results from just last year's WSOP.

2006 37th Annual World Series of Poker
No-Limit Hold'em Short Handed 6/Table
44 $8,340.00
Omaha High-Low 8/OB
6 $48,576.00
No-Limit Hold'em
2 $423,893.00

44 $8,340.00
Omaha High-Low 8/OB
6 $48,576.00
No-Limit Hold'em
2 $423,893.00

Limit Hold'em
13 $10,309.00
No-Limit Hold'em
67 $7,578.00
Old 05-17-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a fan of Phil's at all. I would neer buy his any of his books or his "Blackbelt Poker" series out of fear that some of his poor sportsmanship may rub off on me. With that being said, he is obviously a top Tourney Player ("when he is at full power"). I have no idea about his cash game skills except that his peers do not seem to respect his cash game at all. My question is how do you reach your conclusion about his skill as a player? Were you talking about Tourneys or Cash Games? have you played him? Have you been a railbird in live games for an extended period of time? Or, is your opinion based on GSN's HSP and ESPN's coverage of the WSOP?

PS: Why doesn't someone else market like Phil does?

ThreeBeers
Old 05-17-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Hellmuth is one of the greatest players ever. He would destroy all of his detractors in a game. A lot of you young donks suffer from excessive self-confidence. Phil has ten bracelets. He has the most cashes ever. Here are Phil's results from just last year's WSOP.

44 $8,340.00
Omaha High-Low 8/OB
6 $48,576.00
No-Limit Hold'em
2 $423,893.00

44 $8,340.00
Omaha High-Low 8/OB
6 $48,576.00
No-Limit Hold'em
2 $423,893.00

Limit Hold'em
13 $10,309.00
No-Limit Hold'em
67 $7,578.00

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooohh Cutter. When Phil talks you have da big O.