Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Top set vs. possible straight on river - easy fold?

I'm quite new to PLO, and I'm finding that gauging where I am is much harder than in Hold'em. E.g. in this hand:

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG ($4.75)
MP ($25.70)
Button ($33.85)
SB ($25.65)
Hero ($26.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.95</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $0.95, SB folds.

Turn: ($2.90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, Button calls $1.50.

River: ($5.90) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, Hero ???

This may be a very basic PLO situation. Would you slow down on the river when the straight draw hit? In Hold'em I wouldn't expect UTG to call along with 7-5, but it's much more feasible with four cards, where my opponent could be on an ace- or king-high straight or flush draw and then backed into a lower straight. Sorry if this is excessively basic...
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Top set vs. possible straight on river - easy fold?

Oh god no don't fold this. I like a raise preflop, and as played I usually bet the turn stronger, not too much, just around $2. River bet-call is 'standard' as well.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:26 PM

i pot turn and call
Old 05-17-2007, 01:50 PM

This is a call because villian has busted flush draw much of the time. There are so few hands that include 75 that would call flop. Maybe A765 ss calls flop, but the chances of this exact hand being your villian are small.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:55 PM

This is a definite call, even if it's a somewhat atypical bluff at this level. I have been known to check-call a lot in these sorts of situations at this level. You can draw out a lot of bluffs from players who wouldn't call, bluff-raise, or call a check-raise. Plus, their bluff is often bigger than your value bet (and calling their value bet is definitely cheaper than calling a rasie).

[ QUOTE ]
There are so few hands that include 75 that would call flop. Maybe A765 ss calls flop, but the chances of this exact hand being your villian are small.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, if villain had anything other than A75x suited in hearts (maybe KQ75 suited?) make sure to make a note on him.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:38 AM

Thanks guys. If I played it again I think I'd pot the turn, for maximum protection against two flush draws and two straight draws. If I then check the river, aren't I inviting a bluff which, if it was pot-sized, would be difficult to call? As he's raised the river, I feel he's made the straight.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:47 AM

Is PF standard? I'm new to omaha as well...
Old 05-19-2007, 11:31 PM

Frankly check call is something that you should do at least occasionally here. In fact, you are more likely to get paid off by busted straights/flushes if you check-call. As far as potting turn, if your opponent has flush/straight draw combo your opponent will not fold to pot bet any more frequently. Potting the turn will ensure that you took maximum from villian if river is blank.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is PF standard? I'm new to omaha as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

You could make an argument for raising but I think this is one of the many spots where there's really no value in raising out of the blinds. I'd rather build a pot in position with this hand and play it for set value out of position.