Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 04:53 AM

Default ($33) 99 in SB early with low board

Villain seems very loose preflop early on and likes to see lots of flops cheap. He seems capable of folding when he misses, but no real specific reads yet as we don't have any real history. He probably sees me as tight/solid at this point.

I think I might've gone wrong on the turn where I should either pot it or push, except I think potting it will put me in roughly the same spot on the river as with the bet I made with awkward stacks. Pushing also seems a bit spewy as with villain's stack I'd be effectively pushing a bit over 2x pot where a good part of his range is T9, 87, 88, 77, 33 with just calling my flop overbet I think. Check/folding the river getting almost 4:1 also seems weak but I just don't see villain calling many hands on both the flop and turn that don't already have me beat.

Unfortunately I don't have a hand history but relevant stacks are UTG t1980, Button t1165, Me t1690, BB t1565. Blinds 15/30.

I have 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG calls, 5 folds, Button calls, Hero completes in SB, BB checks.

Flop (120) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hero bets 150, 2 folds, Button calls

Turn (420) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hero bets 330, Button calls

River (1080) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero checks, Button bets 300, Hero folds
Old 05-17-2007, 05:20 AM

Default Re: ($33) 99 in SB early with low board

Hard to imagine villain betting the river with anything that you beat, especially considering that all the OESDs either got there or paired the 6 to pick up some showdown value. I fold as well.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:00 AM

Why are you leading this turn strong?

as played fold river
Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM

I wouldn't overbet the flop.
Turn is fine
Call River. You never need to be good here and villain rarely has a set/two pair or jack.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call River. You never need to be good here and villain rarely has a set/two pair or jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious what kind of range villain could have that would make this a call. Even though putting him on T9, 87, or a flopped set would seem pessimistic I don't see him floating both the flop and turn with just Ax that missed both streets. The only possibilities I can think of are A8, K8, Q8, J8 (just got there), T8, 98. I led into 3 other players on the flop as well, so it would seem he would need a fairly strong hand to call there. So I guess X8 would be the part of his range that makes this a call?