Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Blind defense stats

After reading the other thread where there was a discussion about defending with K2 in the BB, I decided to look at my BB defense stats and they're pretty depressing. The following hands are my only winners:

suited:
A2s+ (except A8s)
K4s+ (except K7s)
QJs,QTs,Q8s,Q7s,Q3s
JTs
T9s,T8s
98s,97s

offsuited:
ATo+
KJo+
QTo+
T9o

pairs:
88+

I'm thinking I must really play a lot of the other hands poorly (surely I should at least be winning with a few more pairs and a few more offsuit hands, no?). I'm guessing I'm not going to showdown enough with some of my lower pairs as well as A high hands. Anyone have any other ideas about how I might be misplaying these hands (ya, I know without seeing any actual hands, this is nearly impossible, but random thoughts may still be beneficial)? Should I tighten up my BB defense and only defend with my winners?

I'd be interested in seeing other peoples' range of winners when defending with the BB.

Poker Tracker filter:
Blind Status->Big Blind
Steal Attempted Against Your Blind->Steal Attempted & Called/Re-raised
Old 05-17-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Blind defense stats

What are you considering a winner? A hand that shows a result of >0 BB? Or, a hand that, once you decide to play it, loses less than the big blind you already posted equal to (.5)BB? Remember, you lose .5 BB if you fold. I would be surprised if all of the hands you listed as losers are actually net losers.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:07 AM

You should be comparing to -0.5 BB/hand, not to 0 BB/hand. The games are tough enough today that not many of your big blind hands are going to show an absolute profit. For one, most hands are losers regardless of position (the profitability of hands is weighted toward a few very profitable ones -- big pockets -- some slightly profitable ones, and the vast majority of hands which are slightly unprofitable) and you're going to do worse in the big blind because you are out of position and have to post blind every time, even those times when it's raised and 3bet in front of you (in which case you can only profitably play a small number of hands).
Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the clarification. When I select all hands that win more than -.5 BB, the results are more in line to what I'd expect. All pairs are winners. All aces are winners except A6o,A3o. And all kings are winners except K3o. I feel a little better.