Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Turn decision with 88

Final table of $10r (7 players left). I'm 3rd in chips with ~85K. Villain has ~65K.

I'm UTG+1 with 88. Blinds are 800/1600. I raise to 4000 (my standard), folds to button who flat calls & both blinds fold.

Flop is A63 rainbow. Total pot is 10400. I lead for 8000 & am min-raised to 16000. I call (feel free to critique this, too).

Turn is a 7 completing the rainbow.

What's my move here?

Against most opponents, I suspect villain has an Ace & I'd fold the flop. However, this villain is very laggy & I think he could've been calling on the button with a very wide range. I have an inkling that he'd have raised an ace pre-flop.

I have 65K behind me at this point, and he has 45K. It's an awkward stacksize such that any bet I make (would have to be 20-25K minimum, right?) would require me calling a push?

Or should I just push & put him to a decision?

Or should I just check/fold assuming if he invests more into the pot, that he's got the ace?

Or have I just played it entirely wrong?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:24 PM
 is offline

Default Re: Turn decision with 88

Only call the flop min-raise if you're also planning to call his follow-through bluff, since it sounds like he's laggy enough to do so.

Me, I just fold to the flop min-raise and look for better spots to trap wreckless laggy players.