Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Default 99 in SB with family pot

I'm lost on how to play 99 in this type of hand. Do I reraise preflop to try and whittle down the field? Do I lead the flop into so many other players?

What is the best line to take on each street?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $28.30</font>
BB: $22.85
UTG: $17.70
MP: $14.40
CO: $13.95
BTN: $23.45

<font color="black">Reads:
</font>
<font color="blue">UTG is a TAG 24/10/2.6
UTG is unknown
CO is a call station 53/11/1.3
BTN is a call station 36/14/1.7
BB is a rock 14/2/0
</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $0.75</font>, MP folds, CO calls $0.75, BTN calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($3.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">CO bets $3.00</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $3.00, BB calls $3.00, UTG folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($12.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red">CO bets $3.25</font>, Hero calls $3.25, BB calls $3.25

<font color="black">River:</font> ($22.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $4.00</font>, <font color="red">CO raises all-in to $6.95</font>, Hero folds, BB calls $2.95
Old 05-15-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: 99 in SB with family pot

I'm fine with the call pre-flop. Everyone's whose in already isn't going to let go of their hands unless the reraise is huge, and then they will only call if you're beaten, probably. I'd call and play for set value. That completely means I'm leading out this pot with the rag flop. You'll get reraised if you're behind probably.

Turn is ok with me. River is a fold. BB hits his priced-in-the-entire-line flush draw because he got to act last after you called. He might be losing to CO though, who completely represents pockets throughout the entire line.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Preflop call is standard. I lead flop as we're likely ahead here. If I don't lead flop I definitely lead the turn. If you check this flop, I think it should be with the intention of check-raising and taking this to the felt. You need to charge people who are likely playing draws. As played I think the river is a fold.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop call is standard. I lead flop as we're likely ahead here. If I don't lead flop I definitely lead the turn. If you check this flop, I think it should be with the intention of check-raising and taking this to the felt. You need to charge people who are likely playing draws. As played I think the river is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-15-2007, 09:01 PM

I'd bet the flop to find out where I am and give my opponents a chance to fold. calling along on this flop is chip suicide.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 AM

And if I bet that flop and am raised, I don't see any choice but folding....hence my c/c line to see whether the turn opens up monster city or actually helps me.

But I can understand the peanut gallery opinion of betting to see what's up, given being OOP and such.

Part of me thinks that preflop reraising was the way to go, but then again, a lot of these lagtards aren't folding.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:46 AM

I like a re raise PF, close to pot size, or even slightly larger then pot sized, since you are OOP. You may have the best hand, you need to charge your opponents who have a positional advantage on you. You are surely ahead of the calling stations, the only player you are worried about is the original raiser. A re raise will define his range more. Also you may win a decent pot PF its pretty obvious that everyone in this hand is weak except the PF raiser.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a re raise PF, close to pot size, or even slightly larger then pot sized, since you are OOP. You may have the best hand, you need to charge your opponents who have a positional advantage on you. You are surely ahead of the calling stations, the only player you are worried about is the original raiser. A re raise will define his range more. Also you may win a decent pot PF its pretty obvious that everyone in this hand is weak except the PF raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why make this play with a hand as good as 99? If someone calls your nines are crushed...I don't see any reason killing off a perfectly good hand with a play that turns it into 72o. I mean if a couple of those guys call..with stack sizes...you're like push fold on the flop. You could easily get AI on the flop with 99 UI and no information on your opponents hands. It's either that, or a c/f on the flop when you don't hit a set. Either way sucks, and it's why I'd just call.