Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Impatient with moving up....

I find that I have been getting too impatient with my bank roll. I tell myself to stay at lower stakes and stay there so I can play within my bankroll; but I notice that the money coming in is so painstakingly slow that I jump up a limit. Jumping up then influences my play; and in turn, I fall back down to a tiny bankroll that I have to build up again.

Is there any ways people have gone about fixing this? Any discipline techniques would be great.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Impatient with moving up....

print OP and stick it in a place near your comp ...re read everytime you want to move up ...
Old 05-16-2007, 09:14 AM

There's nothing wrong with taking a shot for a specific amount as long as you're ready to move down and grind it back up if it fails.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jumping up then influences my play; and in turn, I fall back down to a tiny bankroll that I have to build up again.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the problem. When you move up you should try to play your game. If it was beating the level below at a good clip, it will probably beat the next level as well.

Aggressive shot taking is good if you have a level that you know you can beat. If you risk 10% of your roll in an attempt to move up (or partially move up) and run good you can make the move permanent and increase your hourly rate dramatically. If you dump a few buy-ins you can always move back down where you know you can win.

Lucky
Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 PM

Move up and go broke so you learn why being underrolled is bad.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 AM

starting at the small stakes is the single hardest part of being successful at poker. If you can beat them, and you should, the rest will be enjoyable.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:40 AM

Unless you just run hot out of the gate, bankroll management is the discipline that forces you to figure out why you play poker. It is hard.

Instead of thinking about "moving up", consider each level as a set of stakes you play including one you are underrolled for. Your play at the other stakes is how you finance play at your highest stakes.

As to "playing your game" at the higher stakes, there are definitely cases where aspects of play are sufficiently different between stakes that you have to make adjustments you may not be able to make right now to win at the new stakes. Figuring that out, figuring out the adjustments and making the adjustments is why taking your time moving up (until you run ridiculously hot) is important.