Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 07:57 AM

Default stranded in budapest

I'm in Budapest right now and I need to get to Greece within a few days (preferably two days). I'm having a ton of trouble finding a cheap way out of here since I've never travelled before, and I don't think Budapest is a big destination. I keep hearing of people getting cheap flights/trains throughout Europe. Where can I tap into these amazing deals? Do I need to book in advance or is it best to just walk into an airport and get some sort of last minute deal??

Help please.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Re: stranded in budapest

See if you can find 'Student Agency' Its a travel company from Czech Republic that does a lot of travel in Europe, you could find a bus from here to Greece Im sure and the rates are decent, they might do flights aswell but less likely.

website is http://www.studentagency.cz/

no english on the site though, but their email address is on it, I'm sure they have english speaking support type people if you were to email them.

If no joy there, then I guess walking into the airport is the last option, but with the low cost carriers the price generally goes up as the plane fills up not the other way around.

Ryanair don't serve budapest, Easyjet do, but no flights to greece, just UK, Switzerland and a few other places..... unless you get lucky finding 2 cheap flights, one to somewhere and then that place to greece, I don't have any other ideas.....

How did you get stranded anyway? did plans fall through or did you just not have any plans before you went there?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 AM

Didn't have any plans after here except to make my way to Greece. It was a last minute decision to come to Budapest. Nice city, hard to escape... thank you for the info.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:16 AM

no worries, hope some of it helps

did you go to some spas?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 AM

SA doesn't serve Greece but there's a cheap bus to Prague (~$40). Do you think there are cheaper ways to Athens from Prauge?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM

try here: http://www.bahn.de/p/view/internatio...ormation.shtml

Call them at +49 1805 - 996633 (EUR 0.12/minute) and ask them for transportation

Query timetable here: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Result:

they don't give u a prize on the interwebz, though.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 AM

well if you got to Brno, (few hours from Prague) you could get a cheap flight to Longon (about 100 usd I guess) and once your in london then you could get an easyjet flight to Athens from Gatwick but thats like 300 usd. So expensive, and also a lot of [censored] about.

So basically I don't have any idea. It seems Athens isn't a well served airport and there are no direct routes from Prague or Budapest that I have found.....

Sick spot....
Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 AM

For whatever reason all flights in and out of Greece are crazy expensive and there seems to be no way around it. I would fly somewhere close to there and then bus the rest of the way if you want to get there on the cheap. Or if you just need to get there, take 2 flights.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 AM

TL, DR. But if you're in Budapest, go to a spa, [censored] some SUPER hot hugarian strippers, [censored] some more super hot hugarian strippers, get to Milano Italy and take train then boat to Greece.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:02 PM

Definitely take a train like cwes suggests. They're pretty easy to use and usually pretty reasonable priced. It wouldn't surprise me if a train from Budapest to Athens was less than $200.