Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Can a whole table go on tilt? Or the high VPIP players

Started posting and reading again after a hellish last week. I figure it is safer for my bankroll. Right now my bankroll would be safer dropping it on the floor of a crack house. They couldn't go through it faster than I did.

I'm playing 5/10 and 10/20. Both 6max and full table. I started to review what happened last week. 3 sessions stand out and probably accounted for over 50% of the loss. In each of these sessions on player had a VPIP of over 90. One was even in a 10 handed full ring game, another a 6 max that is mostly full, the last a table that seats 10 with 4-7 players most of the time.

In all of these games that person killed the game. My favorite was the 5-10 where I've never played with this guy before after 100 hands he's won $450 with 96 VPIP and 62 PFR. During this session my VPIP was 37.

Maybe this is just variance rearing its ugly head. I'm certainly not going to start playing like that. When this phonomena starts to happen. I see the regular players that I play with start playing more hands, chasing etc. Sometimes I swear the whole table goes on tilt. When the person caps preflop with 7789 rainbow from UTG and wins a 20+ BB pot with 8's and 9's.

This post might apply more to the psychology forum, but I wanted to post here because I think its a unique effect that can only happen in Omaha. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Can a whole table go on tilt? Or the high VPIP players

Calm down. You sound tilt-prone. If one or two or even three sessions bothers you, move down in limits.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its a unique effect that can only happen in Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that certainly isn't true.

I love games like this! But you have to be properly BR'd at all times. It's games like this that cause me to put in many hours at the poker table. And yeah, sometimes you leave loser anyway, but nothing like a good juicy O8 game where everyone starts going off their game.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Sometimes when I play live, my table is filled with tight, nitty regulars. In these type of games I look for opportunities to play marginal hands usually in position to open up the game. This goes against Zee's recommendation to "be the tightest player at the table to have an edge", and I'm fully aware that I'm playing inferior starting hands than my opponents. I've found however that playing loose in some situations is more profitable to me, but the key is to have a really good handle on post flop play. I'm often able to steal orphan pots against the weak tighties, maneuver my way into a profitable split, or once in a while scoop monsters with funny cards. Some of the others see my cards and may think I'm a fish, but 8 out of 10 times I leave a winner. By the way, if the table is loose already, I'm usually the tightest at the table. I'm not sure if this addresses the post directly, but in my experience, loose play can be profitable sometimes, which contradicts much of the written advice.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 AM

Well... it makes sense to loosen up (a little bit) yourself if someone is playing every hand, especially if they are also clueless postflop. And if everyone goes too far with this then the whole game can go crazy...
Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 AM

Right, and when the game gets crazy, you adjust.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:35 PM

If this is on Pokerstars I know the player you are talking about who caps preflop with [censored] like 7789 and then magically hits almost every time. Seriously wondering when his luck his going to run out.

That said, the table is pretty beatable if you don't tilt. I can't play at the table with that guy anymore, I just couldn't stand losing to 1-3 outers and runner runners
continuously from crappy hands.