Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 PM

Default I don\'t chop but EVERYONE else does

I'm at a room where everyone but me chops, it seems. I mean literally like 95%+. I don't chop, and I don't plan on chopping.

So here's my problem... what do I do to announce that I don't chop? Do I say something to the guy beside me as soon as I sit down? I don't particularly want to communicate that right away... but if I don't, it can lead to some awkward surprises when I raise my small blind.

If I'm in the BB it doesn't matter as much because small blind will ask if I want ot chop and I'll say no.

But what do I do if the SB turns his hand up before asking? I don't know, seems like a weird spot. I'd probably just take the chop and tell him that i play next time (if he's a regular who's seen me play blinds, screw it, I'm taking his money, though).

Anyways... for those of you out there who don't chop, how do you handle this? I really don't want to sit at a table, buy my chips and yell "I DON'T CHOP!", for example. That doesn't seem like it would help me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: I don\'t chop but EVERYONE else does

Most people I play with are regulars and most of them do the same as I do and chop 6 handed or less and play 5 or less. In the rare event that someone I don't know just auto tries to chop with me before I can tell them I don't chop 5 or less I just let it go and tell them that I don't chop 5 or less.

BTW I have no clue what game you are playing but at like 8/16 or lower I would not be surprised if it was close to impossible to beat a "standard" 4+1(and +1 toke) type drop no matter how bad everyone plays.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:31 PM

Howmany hit the nail on the head. Hasn't it been proven that, regardless of your edge, it is neutral EV or -EV to play HU pots in SSLHE w/ full rake+jackpot drop?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people I play with are regulars and most of them do the same as I do and chop 6 handed or less and play 5 or less. In the rare event that someone I don't know just auto tries to chop with me before I can tell them I don't chop 5 or less I just let it go and tell them that I don't chop 5 or less.

BTW I have no clue what game you are playing but at like 8/16 or lower I would not be surprised if it was close to impossible to beat a "standard" 4+1(and +1 toke) type drop no matter how bad everyone plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

session fee, y0

edit: But yeah, at the lower limits it makes a lot more sense to chop.

edit: actually, that depends on whether your increased aggro in the blinds will pay off in other positions, but tough to say, probably not at the lower limits where it's actually an issue.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:54 PM

basically I'm asking how to be gracious about not-chopping, rather than on whether or not I should chop (I've decided not to already).
Old 05-14-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
basically I'm asking how to be gracious about not-chopping, rather than on whether or not I should chop (I've decided not to already).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just let it be known when you sit down that you won't chop. You may catch heat from some grumps about it, but it's far better to let your opponents know ahead of time than springing it on somebody who doesn't expect it.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:14 PM

Just stand up and shout "I'm a nit who doesn't understand how to cultivate a fun table image so I can make more money!" They'll understand...
Old 05-14-2007, 08:14 PM

David - I am mentoring a local Vegas live player who used to never chop. I got him to stop that ASAP because he didnt play well enough post flop to even start to think about blind play. In all the time I have played, in the many various limits, outside of my few friends who are superstar players I have come across less than 5 guys who were good enough players post flop that they shouldn't chop. I think says a lot about my opinion on the matter.

PS: for what its worth I chop when playing hold'em live (only Hold'em, I never chop any other game) because I'd like to move on to the next hand quickly and because its good for the game levels that I play in. If live hands moved as fast as online I'd never chop again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 PM

DesertCat: well said...I would add by being the "nit who doesn't understand how to cultivate a fun table image" you may make yourself a target, why would you want to do that?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean in the instance of heads up SB/BB pots or just in general? I have heard that it's impossible to beat 3/6 or 4/8 but that 8/16 is beatable with a 3+1 drop. Did i hear wrong?