Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 06:55 AM

Default i butchered this one bad, give me better line (10/20)

Villain is Faar1. He is pretty LAG at about 36/24 preflop. I havent played with him enough to figure out if he is bad aggressive or a solid player, but I'm leaning towards kinda donkeyaggro.

We dont have any noteworthy history. My image should be straightforward.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $20 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG ($1930)
MP ($2000)
Button ($2270.10)
Hero ($2575)
BB ($3568.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $260</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $180.

Flop: ($540) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $760</font>, Hero calls $760.

Turn: ($2060) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1250.1 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $3310.10
Old 05-14-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: i butchered this one bad, give me better line (10/20)

Ok,

I'm sure you already knew this, but it's awful to call the flop overbet if you're going to c/f a blank turn to his small river shove UI. Depending on your read, I would either call flop, call turn, or fold to the flop overbet. I sympathize with your desire to see how he plays a blank turn, but someone capable of overbetting this flop in this situation is probably equally capable of bluff/semibluff pushing the turn.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:41 AM

q,

i don't think hero saw this as a call-call or fold now situation as that five changed a lot.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 AM

uhh
IMO this is really opponent based but like fetus said i hate calling flop and folding blank turn, i'd probably just pitch this flop unless he was way out of control.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 AM

I hate preflop.

I'd call turn. To a bad player, I think a reraise preflop followed by a check on the flop looks very weak. You are gettine 3:1, he's really lag...seems like you gotta look him up.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:01 AM

You have to lead the flop to find a fold here. If you check call the flop against this guy, it needs to be with the intention of inducing a bluff, so as played, you have to look him up. If he's that LAG hes bound to show up with qj and other things here a fair percentage of the time.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
q,

i don't think hero saw this as a call-call or fold now situation as that five changed a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it did. On the flop he seemed to make a "committing bet" which people often use with draws. And 78 is the only draw on the flop so I figured that was a decent % of his range. Dont know how big % though as he could probably take a stab on the flop with a veeery wide range (but perhaps not overbet with the total AIR hands??)
Old 05-14-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you hate preflop?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:08 PM

You absolutely have to bet/fold this flop. You will just take it down without resistance a good percentage of the time, and even if called there's still a chance your opponent will be correctly afraid to bluff a gutshot or a 9xs, 6xs, type hand and you will win it checked down. You can also hit your ten, or possibly bluff an ace turn.

Your hand is just not very safe to check since there are so many free cards you can be giving. Unless you are really intent on playing mid-pair for stacks the only value you pick up from check/calling is when your opponent doesn't have a king, will bluff flop, won't suck out on both turn and river, and won't bluff either turn or river (despite that well more than half the deck brings a scare card).

As played fold flop and fold river.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM

Jay,

My bad, I misread the board on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Yeah, the 5 is definitely not a blank. That said, I still think that if hero was planning on calling a turn shove if a blank came off, he should still do so. If the villain is the type to overbet the flop with the OESD, he could probably also have QJ (a flopped draw which didn't get there) after the turn. So I still think that either check/calling down or folding flop are ok; I just think the line hero took represents the worst of both worlds.