Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 AM

Default GOD and the U.S. Gov\'t

I recently had this debate with a friend of mine. I told him that states ( web page ) shouldn't be allowed to have the 10 commandments posted in a public place, ie... a court house, or even a court room. Now my friend who is quite the Baptist Bible Thumper went off the deep end, and claimed that I was wrong, the states had the right to hand the 10 commandments anywhere they wish. I told him that he was wrong, and he shouldn't be allowed to force his views onto others. He then went on a tyraid about how the founding fathers wanted religion to be part of our society. I then asked him why the constitution forbids the combining of church and state. He had no answer. Then he made the piont that our money has the term "IN GOD WE TRUST" on it.
When I told him that I agreed with that he thought I lost it. Here is my reason why: I don't think that States, Cities, or other public institution should be able to support one religion or another. Yes, this is basicaly about the 10 commandments, but it could easily be about the Koran. The reason that I think the term "IN GOD WE TRUST" on our money is ok, is because it isn't just one religion specific. It could be for Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or even Druidism! So what are your thoughts? Should our money have the term "IN GOD WE TRUST" on it? And should the Texas Court System have the right to display the 10 commandments, even though not everybody is Christian, and the Constitution forbids it?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: GOD and the U.S. Gov\'t

[ QUOTE ]
The reason that I think the term "IN GOD WE TRUST" on our money is ok, is because it isn't just one religion specific.

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither are the 10 Commandments.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:28 AM

Religion is such a vampire.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:33 AM

I could absolutely care less about the money, but practically, no it shouldn't have it on there. It was only added to spite the God-less Communists anyway.

Cody
Old 05-14-2007, 01:43 AM

From my point of view, making the 10 commandments law as written would be unconstitutional. However, displays are symbolic only and are not forcing anything on anyone. If some courthouse in a predominently muslim town wants to display a historic copy of the koran under glass, I don't think it's my "constitutional right" as an American citizen to drive over there and tear it down. They simply want a display of something the community generally recognizes and respects as good and just -- it has no legal authority.

I have no problem with simply leaving people alone unless "Congress shall enact no law..." gets violated. Busybodies that like to micromanage displays in other states, towns, etc. typically get on my nerves more than what is actually being displayed.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason that I think the term "IN GOD WE TRUST" on our money is ok, is because it isn't just one religion specific.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the 10 commandments is referencing an event in the old testament when Moses was on Mt.Sinai.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, displays are symbolic only and are not forcing anything on anyone. If some courthouse in a predominently muslim town wants to display a historic copy of the koran under glass, I don't think it's my "constitutional right" as an American citizen to drive over there and tear it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
what about a "display" of Jesus' crucifixion?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the 10 commandments is referencing an event in the old testament when Moses was on Mt.Sinai.

[/ QUOTE ]

At a bare minimum, its two religions, but probably more.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, displays are symbolic only and are not forcing anything on anyone. If some courthouse in a predominently muslim town wants to display a historic copy of the koran under glass, I don't think it's my "constitutional right" as an American citizen to drive over there and tear it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
what about a "display" of Jesus' crucifixion?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is Congress enacting a law requiring it to be put in place for all to see? If so, I oppose it on constitutional grounds. Does some Catholic lady in charge of the decor think it would look good over there by the drinking fountains? Then it's a matter of taste -- if the community generally likes it, it's no different from any other piece of art which may go up and come down at the whim of the locals who actually use the building. Certainly nothing to get ones panties in a wad over.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:26 AM

You guys ever get bored, take out your magic marker and start crossing out the 'God' on the back of the dollar bills? It's kinda fun.