Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Fighting

Im looking to become a good fighter in the next few years. Id like to be able to defend myself in street fights, as well as box for sport. Im mostly interested in boxing and muay thai. Any experienced fighters around here? Other than staying in shape and taking lessons, what can i do? Is there a large psychological aspect to it, and if there is, how do I get into it? Any advice is appreciated.

rkd
Old 05-13-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Fighting

My dad fights in those no holds barred things. I think it's pretty stupid, but if it's street fights you're thinking about, boxing and muay thai are definitely not the way to go. 99% of street fights end up on the ground. Take up brazilian jujitsu or something. Look it up on wikipedia and maybe you'll find something that's marginally better for yourself. Just keep in mind that the best boxer would get his ass handed to him by a moderately good grappler. Only way the boxer would win is with a knockout sucker punch.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:27 PM

i see what you're saying grey, but im more interested in punching and kicking at the moment. i will definitely be looking into jiu jitsu and wrestling afterwards.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:32 PM

Then muay thai is the way cooler way to go. Besides that there really isn't anything to say. Find a local brazilian jujitsu place if you want to talk to people who are serious about fighting. It's just training and fitness. They'll talk about a "killer instinct" being necessary, but either you have that or you don't.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:49 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_m..._arts#Training
Old 05-13-2007, 03:06 PM

I used to be into these sorta things. Most normal fights never last that long or go to the ground so boxing is very important. I still box, but just with friends not seriously anymore. I would just join a decent gym where you can both take lessons from a solid trainer and find decent sparing partners.

I would say that with just a few months of boxing training at a good gym you would be able to completly destroy 90% of people pretty quickly in a typical fight.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:44 PM

nice. well im moving to the dominican, so im gonna explore their fighting styles, but i love to box and im very curious about muay thai.

what sorts of fighting styles were you into isf? what worked and what didn't? both in terms of fighting and staying in shape. thank you

rkd
Old 05-13-2007, 04:15 PM

Mostly boxing, but also just general MMA which included jujitsu. Vs. normal people that dont know how to fight just learning the basics of boxing i.e. how to throw a punch, to keep your hands up and chin tucked is enough to have a big edge on your average drunk dude at a bar. Against people that know how to fight I would say that jujitsu and muay thai start to become more usefull.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:28 PM

Boxing is great for fights. Simply learning basics like putting your body behind a punch and keeping your hands up will help you a lot. What really helps you though is sparing for a month or so, because learning how to get hit in the face and not freak out is invaluable in fights.
Jiu jitsu would be the best assumin it was a perfect 1v1 fight, but that's not the case a lot of the time. if you take a guy down to the ground, a lot of the time he'll have a buddy that can come up and start stomping your face in.
the best defense in street fights is to avoid them in the first place, but other than that a couple of months of boxing and jiujitsu or wrestling would be great. or learn how to use a knife.
just go to a boxing place and a jiu jitsu place, learn the basics, and spar/roll a lot.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:39 PM

I think most fighters train with plyometrics as a main part of their workout. It helps with speed and explosiveness, and also builds your muscle stamina.