Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 06:04 AM

Default 00Snitch in Melbourne : Day 2 (nc,tldr)

Day 1

Day 2

Even less poker content in this one. Cliff notes:
- So card dead that even the fish start giving my tight image respect
- I still don’t like martinis
- Joel continues his 10+ year Street Fighter reign over me

----------------------

I had a bit of a sluggish start to day 2. The pints from the night before were taking a toll. Joel left for work around 8:30am and I pulled myself out by 10am.

I went to hunt and gather some pig-meat. The problem in Melbourne is, you pass so many nice looking cafés that you keep thinking there will be something even better coming up. As such, it was well past 11am that I finally settled on a pretty average looking café. I’m not one to judge a book by it’s cover, but in this case the pages were the same as the cover. Average food, but cheap, so I figure you get what you pay for.

I wandered over the river to the big house around 12:30pm and was feeling pretty good. I was in the mood to put in some solid hours at the table. I figured my results were ok yesterday, if I get on an early run, I’ll take a shot at a bigger game later in the day. I sit down with my rack of yellow feeling like I can take on the world.

The next 10hrs or so can be summarized in five words: Hero folded before the flop. I was so card dead that my image was so tight, that people were constantly folding to any action I gave. It was terrible.

In an attempt to loosen up my image and stop myself from going insane, I decided to broaden my range. I told myself to start playing any high-suited, any two-gap suited and any connectors from late position. Perhaps the poker gods didn’t want me to keep burning through money, so they didn’t give me any of those hands either. Longest ten hours I have ever spent at a card table.

Joel gave me a call around 11pm and I cashed in incredibly only around $70 down, I guess all those 3sb pots I was winning added up.

So Joel and I are strutting along and spot a little strip of red carpet and some security standing around down an alley way. As we get there we notice the token fashion police guy hidden behind the bouncers.

We get to the door and he says “We’re having a hard trance night tonight”. Neither of us like hard trance, but we are like “whatever, sounds good”. He then looks us both up and down trying to find an excuse not to let us in. First Joel in his suit, then me in my hoodie and jeans. I think, “Great, I get to be the one that got us refused”. Looking at Joel he says “Sorry, you’re a bit over dressed tonight”. $20 hoodie pwns $1000 suit. Take that!

So the first port of call was a tiny little bar. As is the norm, it was in a little alley, behind a door in a brick wall with no windows. Three or four flights of not too safe looking stairs we are seated with a negroni (sp? neg-groan-ee) each. It’s 1 x campari, 1 x sweet vermouth, 1 x gin (I splashed on tanq10 if you were wondering) with an orange rind on ice. Best. Drink. Ever.

This place surprised me as one of the few places I have been in Melbourne where you couldn’t smoke. Towards the end of our negronis, a bunch of business dressed people staggered in. There were only five or six of them, but it filled the place up a bit being so small. Joel recognized one guy from another company and he bought a round of espresso martinis.

The guy hands Joel a card with the martini, I chuckle to myself and my mind again flicks back to the scene in American Psycho. Joel flips open his cardholder – it’s empty, apparently the most mortal of sins. I of course save his soul from damnation by whipping out the one he handed me the night before. Later I wonder whether this was a good or bad move in terms of impressions. Meh.

I don’t like martini’s, least of all espresso martini’s, what the hell is that?! Joel assures me that there is a great martini bar close by so we head off to hunt down a good martini. “Close by” turns out to be a few floors down, through a door that I didn’t even see while coming up the stairs. Joel shouts a couple of tanq10 martinis. I sip it to the bottom, periodically pausing for an olive. I conclude that they are just not my drink. I don’t even like olives.

It’s getting late so we hit the frog and toad (I guess you non-Aussies will have to google that [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). On the way home, we stumble past an old looking arcade. Peering in, the first game I spot is Street Fighter – the original one. Growing up, Joel and I would nearly come to physical violence over games of street fighter, this seemed like as good time as any settle the score.

Unfortunately, Joel is way better at street figher than me. After an hour or so, his Ryu is hammering my Ken with probably a 10:1 ratio. “Yer but at least I can go see hard-trance buddy!”. We head home around 2am.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Re: 00Snitch in Melbourne : Day 2 (nc,tldr)

lol this is pretty awesome. hope you make another.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:59 AM

Thanks man.

I'll do day 3 and 4 tomorrow.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 07:27 AM

Yes, keep going! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It’s getting late so we hit the frog and toad (I guess you non-Aussies will have to google that [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be a common phrase...I've never heard anything of the sort [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Ha. Yer I guess it's a bit obscure. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 07:52 AM

road.....

similar to calling americans sepos
Old 05-13-2007, 07:54 AM

the ex-pat qld takes it down.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

edit: you are from qld eskimo?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:29 PM

solid TRs, snitchy. add my voice to the clamor for more.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:53 PM

one more! hat trick!