Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Coping with Poker

Hi everyone,

Im after some advice....

I am currently in my final year of university (college) and will be finished in a couple of weeks to which the big wide world will become my so-called oyster!

I am in a fortunate position of having a very good job lined up for when I finish and this company offers you the opportunity to take a 'gap year' before you start your job the following year. As such, I am toying with the possibility of taking a year (15 months in reality) off before I start, in which I would plan to play poker as my primary source of income (basically, I would want to become [censored]-hot, earn a shed loads of money, play lots of live events all over the place), and mix in some stints of travelling in those 15 months as well.

However, I do have some major concerns about playing poker on a more 'professional' basis, even if it is for a relatively short amount of time. Up to this point, poker has definitely been simply a hobby for me, playing when I have the time, and playing for enjoyment. I have never really spent considerable amounts of time playing poker 'non-stop', there have been occasional weeks here and there where I have played, what I would consider alot (compared to my normal amount), but I know would not compare to any professional's volume.
From these time where I have played considerably more than usual, I have some serious concerns arising from them about playing poker more long term (a year is a long time!) and wanted to hear about some of the coping strategies you guys who play 'for a living' (or others for that matter) use to deal with the problems that are intrinsic to playing online poker e.g. stress, feelings of isolation, managing your social relationships (friends and girlfriends), etc...

For example,

- Do you make sure you leave the house every day before you play poker?
- Do you make sure you have at least one day off a week?
- Do you treat poker like a job and set yourselves set hours to play?
- Do you limit yourself so you only start playing after a certain hour of the day?
- Do you play different types of game (cash, omaha etc...) to keep yourself more mentally stimulated?
- Do you make sure you go and see friends at least X number of times a week?

Some more thoughts....

- Do you find that playing poker online (a). is stressful, b. is overwhelming c. has made you less comfortable in social settings, d. has put a strain on your social relationships
- How do 2+2 and other poker friends help you to deal with your lifestyle?
- Probably a stupid question given my audience, but, is it worth it?

Obviously, I'm not neccesarily looking for answers to these exact questions but they may prompt some thoughts about how you deal with some of the issues? Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Many thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Coping with Poker

[ QUOTE ]
has made you less comfortable in social settings

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a really good laugh at this one. I'm not sure why I would be 'less comfortable'.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:35 AM

lol ok...i kinda meant, how has it affected your confidence?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:20 AM

lol socialments
Old 05-13-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been very confident borderline cocky. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If anything playing poker full time has only made me more confident.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been very confident borderline cocky. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If anything playing poker full time has only made me more arrogant, narcissistic, and egotistical .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-13-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It made it. Seriously.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It made it. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be confident too if I made a final table every 8 hours. But seriously, poker does come with some stigma, especially from the older folks. But in general younger people find it interesting. If you can make enough loot to cover your needs, it seems to be a pretty awesome job.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a really good laugh at this one. I'm not sure why I would be 'less comfortable'.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing about which people talk with me these days is poker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I kinda hate it.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing about which people talk with me these days is poker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I kinda hate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda have that, it seems like I'm telling ppl about poker alll the time and it's kind of annoying.

Also I will say that it's kind of awkward explaining it to older people, and I'm pretty positive that no woman understands it and it's an immediate knock on me... But that may just be me, work on your lying skills to pick up women