Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Squats - sore knees

So I've been doing 4 sets of 10 squats twice a week (followed by 3 sets of leg extension/curls). The front-insides of my knees are very slightly sore. I'm not limited by them at all, but just wondering if this means I have to adjust my form/flexibility/strength in a certain way. fwiw I try to keep my toes pointed slightly outward, knees not going in front of my toes, and keep my knees centered over my feet (i.e. not bowed in or out). Thanks.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Squats - sore knees

[ QUOTE ]
So I've been doing 4 sets of 10 squats twice a week (followed by 3 sets of leg extension/curls). The front-insides of my knees are very slightly sore. I'm not limited by them at all, but just wondering if this means I have to adjust my form/flexibility/strength in a certain way. fwiw I try to keep my toes pointed slightly outward, knees not going in front of my toes, and keep my knees centered over my feet (i.e. not bowed in or out). Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say for sure without seeing a video of you squatting, but one guess is that you may be leaning forward during the lift instead of bringing your ass straight down and driving up. Thats a very common mistake that I see (and I used to do it myself), and it can definitely screw with your knees. Many people have a tendency to do this when their quads are weaker than their lower back and hamstrings.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say for sure without seeing a video of you squatting, but one guess is that you may be leaning forward during the lift instead of bringing your ass straight down and driving up. Thats a very common mistake that I see (and I used to do it myself), and it can definitely screw with your knees. Many people have a tendency to do this when their quads are weaker than their lower back and hamstrings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean that the back goes toward being horizontal instead of vertical to some degree?
Old 05-12-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean that the back goes toward being horizontal instead of vertical to some degree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But it can't be completely vertical of course
Old 05-12-2007, 03:43 AM

Check your form first.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...amp;q=dan+john

That is a lot of volume for your knees to handle. The leg extensions might also be the culprit.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:10 PM

Dont do extensions/curls.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:50 PM

I'm kinda leaning this way, but what's your reasoning?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda leaning this way, but what's your reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly pointless, plus lead to some knee problems. I'd guess there is a decent chance your knee pain goes away if you leave the machine work (especially extensions) behind. Even if you don't you'll benefit from being able to do more good leg work (squats).
Old 05-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Curls arent as bad for the knees as extensions. I'd ditch the extensions in favor of lunges, overhead squats, and even leg press. I actually do curls for my hamstrings because there is only one rack in my gym and I would feel bad about monopolizing the rack by doing squats, OH squats, AND goodmornings.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:17 PM

Don't do squats twice a week. I don't know about you but if I hit my legs hard enough they're toast for up to 4 days.