Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 PM

Default CheckNRaise poker reneges again and its checks refused

Yes, another CheckNraise (small site on the ongame network) bitch thread by me. I won’t bore you with the details from earlier but the thread is http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

Cliffnotes version of my past history with CnR. I won a ticket to the 2006 WSOP ME from CnR in essentially a player points freeroll. At the last minute they told me and the others who won the promotion that they didn’t have the cash to buy our tickets (there were 3 of us with ME tickets and 7 with tickets for lesser buy-in events totaling a bit over 40K). Erez Savion from CnR said they would pay me and the others at least $500 a month until we’d received 11K, 10k for the value of the ticket plus a grand for our trouble. To date they made between 10-11 payment totaling 5-5.5K (I have a small gap in my accounting files so I’m uncertain if they made 10 or 11 payments).

To be completely upfront, I did get to go to and play in the 2006 WSOP ME because poker.com (now carbon poker?) decided to send the 10 of us. I’m sure it was in part to get some good publicity for their site but it was also a pretty cool thing to do (and they gave us an extra $1000 in spending cash to match the packages of their regular players). So honestly, I did ok but this is about a larger point which I'll get to.

Back to the present, I get this letter on 4/23 from an email address I’ve never seen before but which has the CNR credentials:

We regret to inform you that we have been advised by legal counsel that we should discontinue payments to US residents, as they relate to our 2006 WSOP promotion. Therefore you will not be receiving any additional monthly instalments.

Best Regards,
The ChecknRaisePoker Team
------------------------------------------

To be honest I expected CnR to screw us as soon as the UIGEA passed. Something just never seemed right about them and I always had the impression that they were just looking for an excuse to give us the shaft. We were owed this money from before the bill was passed and it was from a freeroll but I’m sure their lawyers have a nice legal justification for screwing us and they know darn well that there’s really nothing we can do about it except write a thread about it.

But here’s the thing, they just bounced their last check to me (for only $500 mind you) and the most recent one I received (apparently my last) probably isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on (so subtract $1000 from the 5-5.5K I’ve been paid). I even had a nice reassuring email from CnR when I inquired about the check’s delay assuring me that it was valid and that my bank (BoA) should contact wirecard bank about it. Well BoA did (and BoA charged me a $40 F you very much fee... assclowns) and Wirecard refused to honor the check.

In the older thread referenced above some CnR people proclaimed that everyone’s money was safe and they’d done millions of dollars in transactions but remained silent when asked why then they couldn’t come up with a measly 40k. As a smaller site on the ongame network I’m sure the effects of the UIGEA on CnR have not been good but sending me that BS email and screwing me out of a measly $500 a month is just sad (and a little more sad since I’m a stay at home dad and kind of liked the extra $500 wiggle room in our monthly budget since I can’t play poker fulltime. But hey, the wife makes the big bucks, lol, she married well, huh?).

I’m a big believer in second chances and I forgave CnR for screwing us on the WSOP tickets when it seemed like they wanted to do the right thing and they made their payments month after month but they’ve had one too many second chances now IMO. Apparently they also did some shady stuff when they were dynamite poker but I know nothing of the details on that.

Here’s my thing. I know a lot of things happened in online poker that CnR couldn’t control but doing the right thing isn’t always supposed to be easy. If it was, the world would be a better place. The online poker world revolves around trust and reputation and frankly CheckNraise no longer deserves anyone’s trust anymore.

I liked the ongame network and I was sorry to get kicked off but if anyone is considering playing on the network, play on one of the more reputable sites like pokerroom, Hollywood poker, or holdem poker. They have the same network, better promotions, and while they’ve had their own snags now and then nothing they’ve done demonstrates the kind of lies, deception, and incompetence shown by CnR IMO.

I intend to cross post this on other english language forums but I'd like to also ask a favor of the 2+2 community and have folks let others know about checknraise on forums in other languages as well. I'm not expecting to ever get the rest of the money I'm owed and this thread is not about that but these sites need to know that they can't just screw with the online poker community without consequences and that honesty and integrity do make a difference when we decide where to spend our poker dollars.

Thanks for your time,

Rob

Edit/MH: If anyone wants to respond please use his earlier thread. Thanks.