Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 08:54 PM

Default 3456 DS. is this hand playable??

Please help!! do you think a hand like 3456 DS is playable profitably in limit O8. Thanks
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: 3456 DS. is this hand playable??

At least put some thought into your post. This is like saying "plz hlp, how do I play AA in NLHE?!?!"

Give a scenario.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please help!! do you think a hand like 3456 DS is playable profitably in limit O8. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's playable given the correct circumstances.

I don't like cold-calling a raise with it from somebody I respect(especially if that player is raising from an upfront position because usually when the raise is coming from an early position, the hand is much stronger and will almost always contain an Ace.) With the 3456 hand, you really want to see an Ace on the flop so the hand goes down in value.

If the game is shorthanded, I would call. If the game was shorthanded and I was acting first...I would raise with it. I don't mind it if I have the button or, if it's raised and I'm in the BB. If I had good control over the game, I would play it, however, I wouldn't be cold-calling multiple bets with it, though.

Also, I wouldn't put too much value on the DS part of the hand. Yeah, sometimes it will help, especially if you're heads up, but against a full field and <font color="blue"> </font> you're usually looking at a loser flush if you happen to hit it.

All in all, if you know the players well and you have a good concept of O8, you can decide for yourself if the time is right...your position is right etc. If you're new to the table and you have yet to establish a read on your opponents, <font color="blue"> </font> I would pass. <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 05-11-2007, 10:52 PM

only in shorthanded situations or shortstack tourney situations, or calling out of the SB. In general, no. Maybe in a blind steal situation too.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
only in shorthanded situations or shortstack tourney situations, or calling out of the SB. In general, no. Maybe in a blind steal situation too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether it's DS, I play the hand in the CO or the button when I can limp with it. I'll also complete the SB with it and nearly always defend the BB with it. But, in EP, I fold it every time.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 PM

hands like this depend more on previous action to you, so this can be much more (or less) playable in late position depending on how often aces remain in the deck.

these hands play extremely well HU as well, so if there's an open raise to you, go ahead and fire a 3bet at them occasionally.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:49 AM

do these hands play well h/u?

How do you make a high with it? Your best hope for high outside of a straight is 2 pair. If you make two pair I think the other guy has you crushed for low, which will most likely be there.

The other scenario is you flop some type of trips 33q. How do you like your kicker. Almost every hand has you outkicked. Find one that doesn't.

I looked at my stats and I've been dealt this hand 3456 57 times and I win .31 BB/Hand with it. This isin't even DS. So yes its playable. My best advice is to play it very carefully.