Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 05:09 PM

Default I\'m so good I fold TPTK - $30 HU NL Tourney

Okay, I'm not so sure I'm that good. This fold is really not my standard play, and I've taken a long break from poker, so tell me how bad this is.

$30 NL Tournament - Full Tilt

It's 10/20. Villain has about 1400, I have him covered. So far, he's folded several times from the SB, and he's only raised maybe once or twice. In HU, that makes him really tight in my book.

He's in the SB and raises to 60. I call with AT [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, he bets 100 into the 120 pot. I raise to 280. He min-reraises to 560. I use up all my time, and then fold.

WTF?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: I\'m so good I fold TPTK - $30 HU NL Tourney

This is a pretty tough hand to lay down but I might also do it if I had a good profile on villain. I mean, him just folding off a few hands doesn't guarantee that he's a TAG. If you REALLY believe that you might be behind here and that you can easily grind him down over many hands then perhaps just toss it. I almost have to be there to really know what to do but his 3-bet looks like JJ or something.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:25 PM

A8, A6, KT, 77, 99, AcKc, AcQc, QcJc are all probably in his range too.

Now if he's really tight his range may just be that stuff and then the overpairs, but like Indiana said it's tough to really say without being there.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:51 PM

I think this is AA-JJ almost every time, maybe a set of 8s or 6s. I think sets usually call behind, but I've seen weaker raises with them every so often. Pocket clubs usually either call or shove here, rarely ever such a small reraise.

Either way, I like this fold, especially if villian is as weak-tight as you say he is.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM

If this is like in the first 10 hands I don't see how you can have a read strong enough to fold this most of the time.

Anything after that you can fold with certain reads, but this is not a fold as often as you think it is Steve, at least I do not think so.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 PM

The reason I think this is a fold is the fact that villian has not raised very often from the SB or made moves very often and the fact the villian chose to make a very small raise instead of shoving. I'd be much more inclined to call a shove with this hand than a small re-raise like this, since I'd expect to see a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or maybe even something like A8.

My decision to fold is actually more of a read I get observing the types of hands opponents usually have when they make small three bets (especially after a check-raise) and this particular hand just feels like an overpair. Also, if you fold you have t1260 left with small blinds against a tighter than usual opponent. I agree with the read that villian is tight, since even at the $30s a lot of players raise 40-60% of the time from the SB, or at least limp along more often than folding.

That all said, from an hourly rate standpoint, a somewhat high variance shove might be right.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:18 PM

I'd 3bet preflop. If this guy is so tight that you don't even wanna 3bet, I'd actually just lead flop lead turn and fold to a raise. The problem with a check-raise against a player who is tight is that he can outplay you if he calls the flop on that board, whereas you can be pretty sure he is not raising garbage. When he calls the check-raise, what turns can you profitably lead? Do you just check-fold? Its a spot where you have an info crisis and thus can't really make a good decision.

When he 3bets your check-raise like he did, the spot is even worse. Both call and fold are -EV when taking into account later streets and stack sizes. I'd fold and outplay him later.