Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Default $25 misplayed striaght?

I think I misplayed this hand, how should I have played it? I was thinking that most players in the sb would be raising any of the possible fullhouse hands so I couldn't put him on those ie q10, qk. With that turn minraise I thought he would generally have q rag here thats why I shoved, but most hands to call this shove are probably beating me right? What whould I have done here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed)

SB ($25.10)
Hero ($131.90)
UTG ($49.25)
MP ($49.25)
CO ($74.80)
Button ($3.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, J.
4 folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1) T, Q, Q
SB checks, Hero bets $1, SB calls $1.

Turn: ($3) K
SB checks, Hero bets $1.5, SB raises to $3, Hero calls $1.50.

River: ($9) 6
SB bets $5, Hero raises to $28, SB calls Allin
Old 05-11-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: $25 misplayed striaght?

I think you played it fine. Like you said KQ is unlikely, but I wouldn't completely rule out QT. You didn't have a read on how loose he was? If he's relatively tight, I could see him completing w/ Q9s. If he's loose/semi-loose, then he could play it that way w/ pretty much any queen.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Hmm I don't know, I think you are counting too much on thinking that they would have raised with QT or KQ before the flop.

It is largely dependent on your opponent. If he is a station and likes to call alot of chips off with medium holdings then it is OK. But otherwise I think i'd be alot more careful here. Your draws are always worth less when there is a pair on board. Maybe once you completed your straight you want to see the river, but all-in doesn't seem like the thing to do on the end.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Raise preflop. You are partially raising for value, since in a BvB situation hand values increase a lot. But you are also raising for relative hand strength -- your opponent is likely to have a much worse hand than yours.

Postflop I think you actually did OK. I would have strongly raised the turn however, and made it 10 or so.

At higher levels I would hate the turn push because no worse hand will call it. But at these levels I think that any naked Queen will call instantly, so your play is OK. Just OK though, I still prefer a turn raise.