Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 12:27 AM

Default NL10 Set v regular.

I have about 1000 hands against villain and have only tangled once in the past, where I stacked off KK to his set. He's multitables but seems to be solid and observant.

He is about 20/16 and from UTG I put him on 22+, AK.

I called PF for set value hoping to get my stack back [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I fully expected his flop lead and agonised over raising. If I raise I think I am advertising my set and folding his pairs up to JJ. Maybe all of them? So I called hoping to have him lead the turn.

Turn card I don't like. If I have read him wrong the turn has opened up straight possibilities and a back door flush.

I feared giving any free card and decided to bet, is this good? Is my bet size good if this is a correct move?

How else could I have played this?

Thanks,

Stu
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($10.15)
MP ($3.95)
Hero ($10.05)
Button ($19.05)
SB ($9.65)
BB ($10.40)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.35</font>, MP calls $0.35, Hero calls $0.35, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.45) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.4</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $1.40, BB folds.

Turn: ($4.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $7.25
Old 05-11-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: NL10 Set v regular.

Standard, raising the flop is also totally fine, but I play it the same.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:29 AM

I like to raise the flop. We has us a set. And while a call is not awful given villian is aggro, i still like to raise.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 AM

I think you can raise preflop to try to get some money in for when you hit. Then consider c-betting when you miss depending on how many players are in the hand and the board texture. You also might take it down preflop
Old 05-11-2007, 12:43 AM

Regulars (lol stereotype) think that every villain is gonna slowplay their monsters, so I would definitely raise this flop and if he doesn't call the raise, you weren't gonna get much more money out of him anyways.

If you do call, he's got a 13% chance of pairing his unpaired hole cards (if he's holding something like KQ), and the chance that a big card hits that he holds that he will stack off with is very slim, so try to get as much money in as you can, and if he has a pair, he'll call and hopefully stack off on any turn.

You can't stack everyone with every set every time. You played it okay, but by slowplaying you set off more warning bells than just raising the flop I think, especially to an auto-piloting regular.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to raise the flop. We has us a set. And while a call is not awful given villian is aggro, i still like to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your line with your take on villain, I never even thought about this and if I am in a similar position will try this approach.

It got me thinking though about being OOP. Is a flop lead standard or C/Rai?

Stu
Old 05-11-2007, 12:45 AM

flop lead is standard. We all like to get tricky, but when we have great hands, we should always bet/raise unless there is a very good reason not to.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can raise preflop to try to get some money in for when you hit. Then consider c-betting when you miss depending on how many players are in the hand and the board texture. You also might take it down preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the raise PF at micro. Any donkey calls and any over cards kill my future action. It also folds my prey if he has pulled a fast one. I'm calling for set value. Had I been first in then, yes, I'm raising

Stu
Old 05-11-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Regulars (lol stereotype) think that every villain is gonna slowplay their monsters, so I would definitely raise this flop and if he doesn't call the raise, you weren't gonna get much more money out of him anyways.

If you do call, he's got a 13% chance of pairing his unpaired hole cards (if he's holding something like KQ), and the chance that a big card hits that he holds that he will stack off with is very slim, so try to get as much money in as you can, and if he has a pair, he'll call and hopefully stack off on any turn.

You can't stack everyone with every set every time. You played it okay, but by slowplaying you set off more warning bells than just raising the flop I think, especially to an auto-piloting regular.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's terrific insight for a respective noob to NL.

Thanks, I appreciate the response.

Stu
Old 05-11-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
flop lead is standard. We all like to get tricky, but when we have great hands, we should always bet/raise unless there is a very good reason not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Danny. Looks like a lock that flop lead is best.

I appreciate the response.

Stu