Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Why so witty are Jews and African-Americans? I know!

Why so witty are Jews and African-Americans? I know!

“What must this people have suffered, that they might become thus beautiful?”—Nietzsche

Wit is about many things but power may be its most important characteristic. I think that Jews and African Americans are successful wits in our society because wit provides them both an escape from the world’s discrimination and because it provides the witty with power that serves as a defense against the strong hate and discrimination that the world showers on Jews and Blacks.

The other day I listened to an interview on NPR with Jerry Seinfeld. The interview took place many years ago before Seinfeld had made his appearance on the “Jerry Seinfeld” show. Jerry said something that surprised and impressed me. Jerry made it clear that he considers wit to be a very powerful force when welded in the hands of the comic.

Wit allows the comic to manipulate the audience into becoming completely in the control of the comic. The successful comic quickly grabs the audience and makes them her captive, which s/he can lead in whatever direction desired.

Freud wrote “Wit and the Unconscious” early in his career. This book is considered to be Freud’s most significant contribution to the theory of wit, which is, by extension, the theory of art.

In this book Freud “affirms the connection between art and the pleasure-principle…he also affirms the connection between art and childishness; however childishness is not a reproach, but the ideal kingdom of pleasure which art knows how to recover…with scant effort…Play on words—the technique of wit—is recovered when thought is allowed to sink into the unconscious…Freud’s analysis of wit invites extension to the whole domain of art.”

Psychoanalysis is about the nature of repression; the essential characteristic of the human psyche.

There is a constant conflict between the conscious and the unconscious. Societies repress the individual and the individual represses the self.

Neurotic behavior, dreams, and various “Freudian slips” provide us with e-mails from the unconscious that elude the conscious repression mechanism. These behavior characteristics are meaningful because they manifest the purpose of the unconscious that remains hidden from consciousness.

The conscious mind strenuously disowns and resists the rumblings of the unconscious. The conscious self disowns and resists its human nature.

Neurosis is the label given to these human phenomena of conflict between the conscious and unconscious self. All of us are neurotic to one degree or another. When this neurosis interferes with ‘normal’ human behavior then, and only then, does it require outside interference by society.

Universal neurosis is the analogy of “original sin” for theological doctrine.

In “Life against Death” Norman Brown develops, with the help of Freudian theory, a theory of art. There are no paradigms in art; the psychoanalytic themes in art offer a perspective in the doctrine of “there is no single meaning to any work of art”.

Questions for discussion

Do you find difficulty in comprehending wit as a form of art?

Is wit as powerful as Seinfeld surmised?

Is this power of wit as surprising to you as it was to me?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Why so witty are Jews and African-Americans? I know!

To me, black humor relies on the frank social commentary of the downtrodden. It's like a child pointing out that Aunty Flo "smells like the loo freshener". That's what makes it funny. Jew humor relies on highbrow feats of intellectual insight - something for which they have the requisite intelligence and cultural beliefs in superiority. And Caucasian humor (of which there are plenty of comedians) relies on creating a personable and likable character and inviting you into their world. It's more about charm and approval than anything.

Of course these are generalizations but you get the idea.

Seinfeld is not witty, at least not to me. It's watchable and mildly amusing, but not notably witty.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:32 PM

I like this definition of "wit":
--------------------------------
The ability to perceive and express in an ingeniously humorous manner the relationship between seemingly incongruous or disparate things.

But I wouldn't want to be a nit about it.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-10-2007, 04:10 PM

Yeah, I don't want to be a nit either, but umm...Jews and blacks are witty? In some social circles that might be considered stupid at best, and probably just grotesquely racist. Though I confess it's a 'stereotype' I've never heard of.

Perhaps your next post can enlighten us as to why blacks like watermelon so much.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I don't want to be a nit either, but umm...Jews and blacks are witty? In some social circles that might be considered stupid at best, and probably just grotesquely racist. Though I confess it's a 'stereotype' I've never heard of.

Perhaps your next post can enlighten us as to why blacks like watermelon so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had read the OP you would recognize that your comments are out of place.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Why so stilted are your syntax?

Is there any evidence that Jews and African-Americans are wittier than others?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why so stilted are your syntax?

[/ QUOTE ]

So I can talk around looking taller.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-10-2007, 07:17 PM

My theory would be that Jewish over-representation in comedy is merely a reflection of their high average intelligence, in exactly the same way as their success in other fields such as science, business, literature, and politics etc.

Black over-representation in comedy and music could possibly, at least to some part, be explained by the fact that intelligent and charismatic blacks have had less traditional career options (previously from discrimination/poverty, now perhaps more from crappy culture such as fear of "acting white" etc), and might thus have had/have higher relative incentives to join these fields of work.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My theory would be that Jewish over-representation in comedy is merely a reflection of their high average intelligence, in exactly the same way as their success in other fields such as science, business, literature, and politics etc.

Black over-representation in comedy and music could possibly, at least to some part, be explained by the fact that intelligent and charismatic blacks have had less traditional career options (previously from discrimination/poverty, now perhaps more from crappy culture such as fear of "acting white" etc), and might thus have had/have higher relative incentives to join these fields of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Showoff.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 PM

No
Yes
No

Wit is similar to charisma, don’t you think? Think of how powerful the charismatic person can become.

I don’t think wit can lead a group of people to drink the kool-aid, if that is what you are asking. But, I can see how a truly witty person can be the center of attention at a cocktail party. I have an Oscar Wilde or a Truman Capote type person in mind.

I am surprised that you find this surprising, coberst.