Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Thoughts on Pen and Paper?

I hope this belongs here in MTT Strategy.....
But, since that's my primary form of poker play, I'm gonna’ post it here.

Although I'm getting better at visualizing pot odds, outs and other player's previous plays at my table, (and even my own previous play at a particular table...), at this early stage in my poker career, I often wish I could figure it all out on paper as I play. It would give me a much clearer picture of my situation.
I've started to use a digital voice recorder for post game analysis of interesting hands, but that's different.

I know some people keep notes about other players at the table. (And I once heard T.J. Cloutier recommend it) but what about the math and my own play, etc.

Not only would it help during play, but also as a physical record of my thought processes.

Plus, I think that writing it down would appear a bit less lame than counting outs on my fingers. ;-)

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on Pen and Paper?

I have an elephants memory, for live games, I see no need to write anything down. ANd besides, you're drawing way too much atention to yuorself. Obviously online is differet, feel free to write down whatever you want in player notes.

With odds, just estimate.

In terms of odds
Old 05-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Practice Practice Practice. I for one used to be terrible at calculating pot odds, outs, equity, etc. But with practice, it gets easier and comes more naturally.

I don't really do a whole lot of math at the table now. I just make a lot of estimates. The only way my estimates are any good is because of practice.

So how to practice? Read this forum. Run lots of hands you have questions about through pokerstove with lots of ranges. Keep playing. That's about all the ways I can think of.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Voice recorder sounds like a good idea if you are serious about analyzing your game.

Side note: There's a guy who I sometimes play against live who furiously scribbles down things that happen at the table, and he constantly busts out early. I find it hilarious.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Voice recorder sounds like a good idea if you are serious about analyzing your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was suggeted to me by a member here on 2+2
(And I see Gus Hanson using one now also...)

[ QUOTE ]
Side note: There's a guy who I sometimes play against live who furiously scribbles down things that happen at the table, and he constantly busts out early. I find it hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Food for thought....
Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Practice Practice Practice. I for one used to be terrible at calculating pot odds, outs, equity, etc. But with practice, it gets easier and comes more naturally.

I don't really do a whole lot of math at the table now. I just make a lot of estimates. The only way my estimates are any good is because of practice.

So how to practice? Read this forum. Run lots of hands you have questions about through pokerstove with lots of ranges. Keep playing. That's about all the ways I can think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone else here has done this, if it might work or end up being more of a distraction....(or at worst, give an opponent a hint about my hand.)

"Practice Practice Practice" has been my basic strategy,
It seems like I often make plays that, had I really given it some thought, I would've done differently.

I guess I'm just looking for that "Elusive Shortcut To Poker Success"
You know, ....the shortcut that doesn't really exist...

Thanks, I appreciate the input
Old 05-10-2007, 03:21 PM

I think this would be really really distracting
Old 05-10-2007, 04:40 PM

Are you talking about online play here?
Then I suggest you get 2 screens and open up excel on the other screen. You can get a sheet with the M-zone so you can calculate that and you can quickly count your potodds.

For live play I would just make it standard to take alot of time on every play you make and practise it alot. Even if you're going to fold the hand, try to count the outs/odds for hitting like trips or stuff like that. Just keep counting and counting and one day it'll be like breathing.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For live play I would just make it standard to take alot of time on every play you make and practise it alot. Even if you're going to fold the hand, try to count the outs/odds for hitting like trips or stuff like that. Just keep counting and counting and one day it'll be like breathing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is prob. the best way to go.
I guess this exposes my other problem... Lack of patience.

Thank you
Old 05-11-2007, 01:16 PM

For live play use a voice recorder and just do a play by play of the hand that you just played....this would be so much fun and you could put people on tilt so easily.

"Bluffed with $1k on river and the donkey folded"