Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Cramps in upper legs, calves, and feet.

Mods: If this isn't the right forum for this question, please feel free to delete/lock this thread.

I very often get cramps in my upper legs (the back of the leg, whatever that muscle group is called), the calves, and my feet.
I'm not sure what could be causing that, so I'm hoping the Gym might know.

The cramps typically occur in the evening, when I go to bed, but the cramps in my feet (toes curling up and that stuff) happen at any given time during the day. Whenever I just lie still and try to relax or sit on my partner while giving her a massage I can almost guarantee that my feet will cramp.

I usually thought it might be a lack of water or magnesium. But by now I'm drinking around 2-3 liters (.5-.8 gallons) every day, and a lot more when I'm being active in sports.
I don't drink much coffee or any other forms of caffeine. On average probably 1-2 cups a day.
I'm also taking cal/mag supplements, so I don't think I have a deficit in that area, either.
I couldn't spot any differences in frequencies when I'm active in sports or not. (Obv my calves cramp when I push too hard playing soccer, but that's to be expected if I'm not fit enough.)

What I have noticed, though, is that during the last couple months while I was on an Atkins diet, I had a lot fewer cramps. As soon as I started adding sugar to my diet again afterwards, the cramps immediately appeared. That could just be coincidence, but who knows, maybe that is related?

So do any of the health gurus around here have any ideas or suggestions what could be causing this?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Cramps in upper legs, calves, and feet.

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I just lie still and try to relax or sit on my partner while giving her a massage I can almost guarantee that my feet will cramp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pics?

[ QUOTE ]
I usually thought it might be a lack of water or magnesium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

But yeah, I don't know much about cramps but I get killer calf cramps on random nights. Haven't for about a year though thankfully.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:46 AM

Do you eat bananas? If not, try eating one a day.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:49 AM

potassium is the key to not getting cramps, like smiley said eat some nanas.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:06 AM

I used to have bad cramps and I take an additional vitamin suppliment for it that I heard would help. it did, haven't had a problem since. I don't remember which vitamin it is I'm taking every morning, but I posted it on a previous thread so you can search it.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 AM

Thanks guys, will try the bananas, although I'm not a big fan of 'em. Is there any other food with loads of potassium in it?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I very often get cramps in my upper legs (the back of the leg, whatever that muscle group is called), the calves, and my feet.
I'm not sure what could be causing that, so I'm hoping the Gym might know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Coral Calcium as a supplement in the evening before bed. It's helped many people I know who have similar issues. If you have exerised/worked out that day and even to women with issues from menopause (not kidding on that one) have seen immediate impact.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Is there any difference between Coral Calcium and other types of calcium supplements? I'm already taking Calcium/Magnesium combo pills every day.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any difference between Coral Calcium and other types of calcium supplements? I'm already taking Calcium/Magnesium combo pills every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the label of the one I take. Sounds similar to your pills--might have to do with the quality of the product and way it's made to process in the body. My wife is the expert (been in nutritional supplement industry for 9 years, owns a store). I just do what she says [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Coral Calcium/Magnesium Asparate
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 AM

This might be a revealing read. There are several points related to calf/ankle flexibility.