Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Representing AK - Donkey move or standard.

I've been playing fairly solid but TAG at my local B&M MTT. I think I've developed a good table image and have shown down premium hands (KK, AK, AQs). $200 freezeout, t2500 starting chips.

Relavent stacks and reads:
Hero (Button) - t5000
SB - t4000 (nothing spectacular, got caught once but got lucky on the turn)
BB - t1500 (limps too much and folds if he misses flop)

Blinds 100/200 - no antes (10 players).
Dealt to Hero 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
7 folds, Hero raises t700, SB calls t700, BB calls t700.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot t2100 - 3 players)
SB bets t1000, BB folds, Hero calls t1000.

Anybody fold this? I hit middle pair and am getting 3:1 to improve. I put Villain on a Jack (AJ, QJ, JT, etc)

I also take awhile to call and outloud say "Okay, I'll see one more card". I know, I talk too much but it works sometimes.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Pot t4200 - 2 players)
SB checks , Hero...???

I want to push and represent AK. Villain has t2300 behind but may be pot committed, getting close to 3:1. If I check behind to see the river, I have to give up the pot if I don't improve (which is likely).

Besides, "Fold Preflop", what's my best line?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Representing AK - Donkey move or standard.

Villain may just be trying to take the pot down on the flop. Since he didnt reraise you can rule out TT+ AQ/AK. Im sure you can get him off JQ/JT without much difficulty here but AJ hes going to be in it. An all in shove might be credible here because Ak would call this flop.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:24 PM

When checked to on the turn, inspect his stack, maybe ask him what he has left. Bet @1800.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When checked to on the turn, inspect his stack, maybe ask him what he has left. Bet @1800.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line. I bet like this online and don't think about it when live.

I pushed the turn. Villain goes into the tank, calls and says "If I'm beat, I'm beat."

Turns over AJo. No help on the river.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:31 PM

You can't represent AK by calling a J73 flop! If anything you're representing exactly KJ, but your I'll peel one comment probably killed that.

In fact, the thing that sucks about floating this flop, if you really think he has a jack, is there is no draw to represent. Here you can float if he were the raiser and would cbet most flops, because you can represent the jack later. But as the preflop raiser and now flop caller, you have to improve and then stack him; you're not calling to bluff later. On a drawy flop sometimes you can call to stack him on your real outs and make him fold on fake outs. But there are no fake outs here.

If he check-called you on the flop (meaning he probably has a jack or a midpair, THEN you can represent the king on the turn.

But this is really bad. Fold the flop. Check behind the turn. The only way you can do anything but fold the flop is shove if a) he donk bluffs the flop enough and/or donks with stuff like 88, b) he'll put you on an overpair or AJ enough and fold a jack sometimes. But a jack always gets stacked by overpairs here, so again, just fold the flop.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 PM

This hand got out of hand real fast with ur 67 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The PF raise was a steal attempt at best with the option to steal again if allowed a cbet. Calling 3:1 while drawing to trips or 2p is not a good idea. You should have noticed the 2300 behind before calling the flop. The K hits and V checks and all of a sudden u r going to rep AK. Surrender on the flop.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:53 PM

wow i didn't notice how shallow you were either; that makes this even worse. He's never folding.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:20 PM

ya fold or shove flop is way better than calling with these stacks
Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 PM

If you are going to raise suited connectors, I think you need to raise a little smaller with no ante.

I would probably push the flop. Good chance villain folds, and you are about 25% to win against AJ or TT or something like that.