Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Playstation 2 Problems

I've had my playstation 2 now for probably at least 2 years, maybe upwards of 3. In the last 5 months or so I've purchased FFXII and both of the guitar hero games.

Now, my problem lies with the damn thing suddenly not reading the disk. I went to eBay and noticed a bunch of older ones selling with the description of the same problem.

Question now is, anyone familiar with the problem and know how to fix it? At first I was able to reload it into the console and eventually it would finally read the disk, but now it's not even doing that. I have to go to the memory card screen and eventually after looking at the disk, it'll come back with a "disk error"

I'm basically wondering if it would be worth it to try to get it fixed, or would I be better off just buying a new one (and mind you, if I were to do that, I'd get the slim version since I've been moving a lot lately and it takes up a lot of room). The Gamestop around here has the used slim for $110 and the new one for $130. I'm sure I could do better on eBay but I'd rather not get one that is broken in the same way that mine is. Gamespot told me that I could sell them my old one for $25 - 50 depending on the condition.

Any idea if it's worth trying to fix or would just getting a new one be better?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Playstation 2 Problems

I had the same problem with a couple of PS2's...I could sometimes get them to read after trying a bunch, but it was annoying as hell. I took one of them completely apart and figured out a way to get it to work for a while, but it was a huge hassle. I would just buy a slim, they are inexpensive and I haven't had any such problems with it yet. If you can get any $$$ for the used one, then that is just a bonus.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 PM

The most common error is that the track the laser moves on wears out. Try turning the PS2 upside down or opposite to the way you usually had it positioned. This works for a while in most cases. Could also be dirt on the lens.

Regardless, since you're willing to accept about $50 for yours I reckon your best bet is to try to fix it yourself using a how-to guide, there are lots available on the internet.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 PM

I've seen some how-to guides that show how to take it apart and adjust the height of the laser. I think I'm gonna try it on mine once it starts giving me more trouble. It has pretty much stopped reading DVDs now. I tried to play GH2 a couple of days ago before I left on a trip and it wasn't reading it all of a sudden...if it doesn't work when I get back, I'll try to fix it. If it won't read discs anyway, I can't really make things worse...
Old 05-09-2007, 04:58 PM

http://www.gamingworldx.com/features...airGuide.shtml

Using that link and about 25 minutes and my PS2 read everything again. It's easy and should work.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 PM

thanks all. As soon as I get a chance this weekend I plan on trying and seeing if I can get it fixed.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the link. That's different from the procedure I had seen. I had read this: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

Even if you just want to clean the lens, it might be worth looking that this link for the pictures.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 AM

I had the same problem. I unscrewed the PS2, unscrewed the lens cover, and cleaned the lens with alcohol. Problem solved, and it took about 20 minutes.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link. That's different from the procedure I had seen. I had read this: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

Even if you just want to clean the lens, it might be worth looking that this link for the pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a pretty good guide. Nice pics and everything.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:46 AM

i have a ps2 problem. i plug in a control and i know its connected because i can click analog and get it to light red, but when i press the controller keys, the PS2 doesnt react.