Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Beat: Newegg (a little long, cliff notes at bottom)

Okay, so about a month ago I ordered a g15 kb, g5 mouse, new HD, and 2x 1gig sticks matched pair of corsair ddr2-6400. After standard shipping time I received the items and hooked all of them up -- everything seemed fine except the computer lost sound after about 30 minutes and then started getting really really laggy after that. Opening eq2 was immediately laggy even after a restart.

Sounds like ram since it's "random" and memory-intensive things cause it to happen much faster. So I took the new ram out and it was fine. So, I put it all back in and ran memtest86 and it failed of course. I then took all the RAM out and did memtest on each stick in the same slot -- one of the two new ones failed, the 3 others passed. Just to verify, I tested the other new stick in all 4 slots and it passed. Pretty conclusive that the memory is bad.

So that's not the problem, hardware issues happen.

I then got an RMA for the ram and sent it back to newegg -- my RMA request, which they had me package with the ram printed out specified the memtest86 results. About 2 weeks of waiting and I get the "replacement" RAM in the mail today. I power the PC off after work, stick the RAM in, boot back up... it works perfect from what I can see. I open EQ2, instant lag.

Ignoring my memtest86 results from before, I search around to make sure there's no 4gb problems with WinXP 32-bit (it has a 4gb memory limitation but it shouldn't cause a problem having more, it's just not used). After about 4 hours of trying various things I try the whole memtest86 thing again -- same results. One thing stood out though....

One of the errors said...
Expected: FFFFFFFF --> Found: FF6FFFFF

What's significant about that? The fact that I recognize it from last time. Unless this is one of the biggest coincidences ever (no.), NewEgg didn't replace anything. I did plenty of testing to show them exactly what was wrong with the product, I paid the original shipping + shipping to send it back, and I spent 4 hours working on the issue with the "new" RAM and it turns out they never replaced it, they just said they would and sent the same RAM back.

I sent them an email last night about the whole thing basically saying everything above and this was the response....

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. In your case, we sincerely recommend you to contact the manufacturer at 888-222-4346 for technical support firstly. If they determine the item is defective, please reply to this email to let us know so that we will then issue a replacement for you within the refund warranty period.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Samantha Xiao

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolded part looks pretty clearly to be admitting to the fact that they sent me the same product back.

Cliff Notes
- Got Bad RAM from Newegg
- RMA'd RAM
- New RAM was the same ones I sent back

So...
[censored] Newegg. Unless Zipzoomfly doesn't have it or the price difference is large, I'm done with Newegg.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Beat: Newegg (a little long, cliff notes at bottom)

Not from Newegg, but I've had this happen before with returns.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 AM

Id be Fin furious. FWIW i love newegg but Ive never had to return anything
Old 05-09-2007, 12:59 PM

sorry to hear it, i've had nothing but the best from newegg. never had to RMA anything immediately though. does zzf have the same stree cred as newegg?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:07 PM

If you find yourself having problems with newegg you should probably quit the internet, cuz you are definitely retarded.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry to hear it, i've had nothing but the best from newegg. never had to RMA anything immediately though. does zzf have the same stree cred as newegg?

[/ QUOTE ]

ZZF is smaller but they are definitely growing in popularity. I've ordered from them a few times and had the same shipping speed, etc. with slightly lower prices. Their website does suck ass, though.

[ QUOTE ]
If you find yourself having problems with newegg you should probably quit the internet, cuz you are definitely retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that's relevant, you should probably quit life. Bizarre logic aside, please, tell me how getting DOA hardware makes me retarded.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 PM

I didn't actually read the thread. I just saw beat and newegg in the same sentence and figured you were retarded.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:21 PM

lol, fair enough =d
Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM

Newegg has been fantastic for me. People [censored] up sometimes. Judge them by how they fix their mistake, and don't punish yourself because an otherwise solid operation slipped up once.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 PM

I actually just read the thread, and I can say that that does in fact suck wang.

I've never had a problem with hardware/devices from newegg, so I've never had to RMA anything. Sucks that you have to pay shipping on that [censored], wtf??