Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 04:32 AM

Default AJo - how bad is this?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Villain is 31/4/1.6 over 103 hands, no real reads. Should I just fold AJo preflop at this level? I think I should have raised on the flop and bet the turn. Comments welcome on all streets.

CO ($45.20)
Button ($47.55)
SB ($29.75)
BB ($23.10)
UTG ($44)
UTG+1 ($11.40)
MP1 ($55.05)
Hero ($59.10)
MP3 ($50.95)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP1 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($10.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($10.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $7</font>, Hero calls $7.

Final Pot: $24.75
Old 05-09-2007, 04:42 AM

Default Re: AJo - how bad is this?

I play it pf the same way. On the flop I raise this. As played you have underrepped your hand and I would call the river
Old 05-09-2007, 04:53 AM

I'd probably raise the flop a bit, to around 8$... With that low aggression factor I don't mind firing on the turn again with TPTK...

As played easy call on river imo, no point in raising, no point in folding...
Old 05-09-2007, 06:03 AM

Preflop can go either way, but raise more. Usually raise flop. As played bet turn. As played river call is fine.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 AM

With all the draws and JT on this action flop, definitely bet the turn.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 AM

With AJo I usually limp with a plan to fold to a raise from behind. My goal is to play fit or fold for a small pot.

As played, I think your line is fine. I suppose it might be good to bet $3 or $4 on the turn to make draws pay a little to chase, but then you'd need to be able to fold to a big c/r (or make a read on villain). But checking the turn isn't terrible since it will induce plenty of bets from hands that you beat on the river.

As played, I think you need to call the river becaue your check on the turn will induce a bet on the river from missed draws and weaker hands.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 AM

I thought based on my line the river was a call thinking he would show a 10 or a missed flush draw. He showed pocket 10s and I was beat in every way. Still, looking at this hand I did not like my line as I prefer raising the flop. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM

*grunch*

Preflop play is borderline. You are fine folding AJo in this spot. If table is weak or you have a good image or whatnot a raise is OK too. I would default to a fold here, but I am a weak-tight nit. You can raise, but have a plan.

Flop play I think is weak. What hands would make him donk-bet here? I think you have to narrow his range to 33, TT, JJ, QQ, KQ, 98, KJ, QJ, JT, AT, AJ, any two diamonds, and maybe AK or AQ. With TPTK I would raise his bet to $12. It pretty much announces your hand (top pair or overpair), but will give you a lot of information as well and maybe win you the pot. This is debatable though. Basically a raise will fold out hands you beat (limiting value), but force draws to pay more, and while you put more $$ in against hands that beat you, also gives you the opportunity to get away from these hands. Basically, the decision between raise and call is read dependent - if villain is more likely to have a draw, raise, but if they are more likely to have a hand (either ahead like TT or behind like AT) then the call is better.

I like your turn line. Yes, it allows draws to get a free card, but it also keep the pot small when you are dominated and, since you are in position, sets you up for some value on the river.

I like your river line as well. Your hand is not strong enough to raise here, but you don't want to fold. You just picked off a bluff from a draw, and lost the least to a set or two-pair.

To sum up, preflop depends on your game, but there's nothign wrong with folding this and you may want to try it sometimes. On the flop I would be more aggressive and put in a raise with TPTK. I like your turn and river lines and think they get you decent value. But, as I said, I am a little weak-tight.

How'd I do?