Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 PM

Default JJ in BB gets reraised PF by CO limper

Villain is 19/7.5/2.3 over 430 hands.

Relevant stack sizes are $130

Hero is BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop:
5 folds, CO limps $1, BTN folds, SB completes, Hero raises to $5, CO reraises to $15, SB folds, Hero...?

So I was a bit confused by this play. I thought for a little while and decided that this was some kind of fancy play by the villain. Maybe he wished he had raised with his small-medium pp? I don't see a guy with these aggressive stats not raising a hand that is better than me here (when he limped) so I think I am ahead... but i could be way off.

I will post flop after I get some feedback on PF. Thanks all!!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: JJ in BB gets reraised PF by CO limper

Very strange play by villain, I'm thinking he's trying to take the pot down now with a small/medium pair, it looks like you're trying to steal pot from BB position, and he may very well think he's ahead of you and can muscle you off the pot, he doesn't even need a hand to try this if he thinks your stealing. What's his perception of how you play, what's your image ?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's your image ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had only been at the table for 1 orbit. I raises only once I think before this and I took it down on flop. My stats are 19/8/2.1 but I of course have no idea if he has stats on me.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Ok, I read that wrong, I thought there was a limper before cutoff. Cutoff could have a big hand here, hoping to trap on flop, but since you raised, he sees a chance to either take it down or build a pot..He could simply be representing a monster, thinking you are stealing, and thinking that you think he could have a monster and he could get you to fold, could just be trickyness or a monster.He could be incorporating one of his plays where he calls in the CO or Button and bets any flop, representing some kind of monster that's looking for action , think it depends on his perception of you and your ability to lay down a hand or make a move on him.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 PM

So what would be your plan for the hand? I mean like I said I have only been sitting with him for 10 hands so he can't know that much about me. Unless he has been data mining alot he probably doesn't even have great stats on me. And I don't know much about him.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:07 PM

OK so I called. I would still like to hear others' opinions on what to do PF but here is the flop.

Flop (pot is $31): K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero?

I checked thinking that villain will bluff some chips off to me with a cbet. Was this play OK?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:11 PM

(this post was made before your flop post)Seems like villain is trying to push you off hand, I don't think he'd play a monster this agrressively, especially if he put you on some kind of steal, if he did have a monster I think he'd just call, let you take the lead on flop and possibly CR you on flop or turn. Assuming he has no reads on you, I'd call and see a flop and go from there.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK so I called. I would still like to hear others' opinions on what to do PF but here is the flop.

Flop (pot is $31): K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero?

I checked thinking that villain will bluff some chips off to me with a cbet. Was this play OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind checking this flop because if you bet, I really expect villain to raise, I don't see him giving up on representing a monster, however if you CR him, he may let it go, fearing set or AK, and realise that he's gonna be playing for his stack. This is assuming a read that villain is weaker than he represents.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 PM

I would call PF mainly for set value and then C/C the flop if you flop an overpair, or C/F the flop if overs come.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call PF mainly for set value and then C/C the flop if you flop an overpair, or C/F the flop if overs come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really like this line. Calling purely for set value is meh I guess although we pretty much have to get his entire stack to make the PF call profitable from OOP(if this is our strategy.)

But the strategy of c/c if you have an overpair on flop and c/f if you don't doesn't make sense to me. If we are set mining then we are putting him on AA/KK maybe QQ. Therefore, if we have an overpair on the flop so does villain and villain's is better.