Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 04:05 PM

Default 3. barrel on the River?

please comment my betsizes and the Riverbet.thx.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

UTG ($604.75)
Hero ($656.50)
CO ($591)
Button ($290.55)
SB ($997.25)
BB ($351.33)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, CO calls $24, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($57) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, CO calls $50.

Turn: ($157) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $108</font>, CO calls $108.

River: ($373) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $200</font>...
Old 05-08-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: 3. barrel on the River?

Reads and such is important, without one I dont like it. Looks at first glance that your bet on the river will fold out everything you beat and get called by the hands that beat you lots of the time.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 PM

Every now and then I try 3 barrelling against an unknown player. Then I review my hands. Then I unsuccessfully (thank goodness) try to kick myself in the nuts for 3 barrelling an unknown.

If he folds the river, most of the time he's folding a worse hand. An average donk, who will call the turn bet with one pair, will call your river bet with one pair.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Do you have some info on stats here? His range here mostly consists of draws and some weak overpairs, so he probably can't stand more pressure on the river. But I'd rather have some reads on him before doing this.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:25 PM

I have stats from ~80% of the players but not from all of them. So please understand my questions as a question for a default line.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:42 PM

It looks bad to me. He is going to call w/ most any 8 probably or small overpairs. Call me crazy but I think there is much more value in chk calling a river bet from him w/ A high. He may bluff alot of missed draws and I don't think he is going to value bet too much on the river fearing a c/r...so most of his bets will be bluffs IMO.

Chk/calling would be player dependent but I think it is much better than firing the river if you are really adament about putting more money into this pot.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have stats from ~80% of the players but not from all of them. So please understand my questions as a question for a default line.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a default, don't bluff every street. There is no default line for a move that is entirely read dependent. If you want general advice on the river bet size, I prefer a bigger bet, closer to 3/4 PSB or more (which is one more reason I need a fairly strong read on my opponent).
Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Chk/calling would be player dependent but I think it is much better than firing the river if you are really adament about putting more money into this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reads and such is important, without one I dont like it. Looks at first glance that your bet on the river will fold out everything you beat and get called by the hands that beat you lots of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. if you're going knock out an 8 consistently you need a bigger bet, and if you got called on 2 streets by a 7 then who knows what the guy is doing.