Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Limp AA with a read?

Background, live 1-2 in Las Vegas, I'm UTG and the button is a maniac who keeps raising almost every pot to $43. I'd say at least 80% of unraised hands have been raised by him, and not many unraised hands.

I have AA and normally I'd make a standard raise here, but his play was annoying me and I limped expecting to push back over him.

I'm pretty sure this was a bad play and just posting to confirm how bad it was.

Edit for stack size. He is big stack with around $450 and I have $300, max $200 buyin. With have everyone else covered.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Limp AA with a read?

Probably fine, depends on stack sizes.

Also, if for some reason it gets limped around then don't go crazy postflop if there are a bunch of callers (ie. see Paul Wasika's fold of AA on a dryish flop in a limped 6 way pot on HSP season 3).
Old 05-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Depends on the rest of the table. If he (or other bad players) might get it all in with JJ+ preflop just make a standard raise. If its all nits and him, you might want to make a regular raise too, since none of them will raise 77+ or AQ for fear of having to fold to his repop and may be trying to LRR themselves. I'd PREFER to limp this right in front of him, DUCY? Your plan is to win like ~50$

--GA
Old 05-08-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Background, live 1-2 in Las Vegas, I'm UTG and the button is a maniac who keeps raising almost every pot to $43. I'd say at least 80% of unraised hands have been raised by him, and not many unraised hands.

I have AA and normally I'd make a standard raise here, but his play was annoying me and I limped expecting to push back over him.

I'm pretty sure this was a bad play and just posting to confirm how bad it was.

Edit for stack size. He is big stack with around $450 and I have $300, max $200 buyin. With have everyone else covered.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's a decent play given what you know.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:52 PM

No that's a fine play in the given conditions.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:01 PM

Wait, why do you guys think he should do this? Just to win the raise and the limps? How much should he limp rr? I only like limp rr aces utg if I'd also do it with AK and I think someone in MP might open to like 15 with junk and get called in three spots.

Srrs, what do you foresee happening here?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 PM

If this guy raises, everyone after him will know he does it light, and are much more likely to call or even RR. You RR after him anyway whatever, so you get more benefit from him raising on your behalf than you would open-raising yourself.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this guy raises, everyone after him will know he does it light, and are much more likely to call or even RR. You RR after him anyway whatever, so you get more benefit from him raising on your behalf than you would open-raising yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Maniac's on the button, the only people who might call/raise are the blinds.
2. Depending on the table, nobody will be opening light before the maniac, so if they're limping, they might have something like 99/AQ and are hoping to reraise maniac themselves. Once OP limp RRs they may just fold.
3. Say someone opens with JJ in LP, maniac folds and OP minrepops...his hand is face up.

So ops plan will usually win him only the maniacs raise and the blinds, around 50 bucks (Im assuming maniac folds most of the time...even a maniac can smell the lrr AA).

Open raising to 15 might get repoped with nada by the maniac, or by a real hand from another player.

Again this is all table texture, but I rarely limp in from EP when there's a maniac, but I love this play from MP if he was limping behind.

--GA
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much should he limp rr?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd limp/rr 1/3 of maniac's stack (or mine, whichever is smaller - about $100 or maybe a little more, in this case). If he calls, then I'd open push any flop. The big-reraise will be suspicious to him. He will think, "I'm raising all the time, and his big reraise looks like it doesn't really want a call... and I have AQ this time (or JJ, or AK, or whatever), and I'm probably at least a 50-50 shot...I call/push..."

And if he does call, then I'd open push will look suspicious too. "My JJ must be good, or he wouldn't have bet so much..." etc.

If villain has nothing, then winning the limpers + the raise when everybody folds to the big limp/rr isn't bad at all.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much should he limp rr?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd limp/rr 1/3 of maniac's stack (or mine, whichever is smaller - about $100 or maybe a little more, in this case). If he calls, then I'd open push any flop. The big-reraise will be suspicious to him. He will think, "I'm raising all the time, and his big reraise looks like it doesn't really want a call... and I have AQ this time (or JJ, or AK, or whatever), and I'm probably at least a 50-50 shot...I call/push..."

And if he does call, then I'd open push will look suspicious too. "My JJ must be good, or he wouldn't have bet so much..." etc.

If villain has nothing, then winning the limpers + the raise when everybody folds to the big limp/rr isn't bad at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um there's some stuff wrong with your thinking here sir.

1. Villains been making it 43 to go every single time. So if you repop it should be at least 100 more if not bigger. Maybe that's what you were saying.
2. Villains been doing this EVERY SINGLE UNRAISED HAND. He's got zip. Sure, if he has AK or JJ you double up but if he has this he's probably gonna reraise and call a push preflop anyway!
3. Sure if you just want low risk 50 bucks fine, as long as you promise to open fold because now you have no clue what's going on from any 7 way limped flop.

Even maniacs know what a limp rr from UTG means, it's live NL where people stack off with whatever preflop if you just 3bet like normal.

--GA