Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Default NL400: AJ TPGK CO vs. BB faces turn checkraise and river shove

Villain is solid NL400 multitabling regular. Understands the concept of late position blind steals, likes to float. 14.5/5.8/2.8.

Is my line OK?

SB: $565.35
<font color="black">BB: $488.20</font>
UTG: $656.26
UTG+1: $394
MP1: $305.14
MP2: $729.10
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $409.50</font>
BTN: $444.10

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A J (8 Players)
4 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $16</font>, 2 folds, BB calls $12

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($34) 6 4 5 (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($34) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $18</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $68</font>, Hero calls $50

<font color="black">River:</font> ($170) 5 (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets all-in for $404.20</font>, Hero folds
Old 05-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: NL400: AJ TPGK CO vs. BB faces turn checkraise and river shove

I'd usually just fold to the turn raise. I'd also usually bet a bit more on the turn. Problem with the entire situation is people may know that even if you have an ace you can't take that much heat, and that if you had a big hand you don't check it on this flop, so your hand is USUALLY a maximum of AK.

The good news is I don't think most people are trying to be that creative, but I'm sure some very alert people will be running large bluffs here sometimes. Just if it seems they are getting out of line start fighting back a bit, but until then my default would be to immediately fold to the turn check raise.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:45 PM

Weird.

I would put him on a couple big cards or a PP after his PF call.

The flop is groovy. I have no problem with checking behind on this flop. You might be able to get him to fold but if he is tricky he will throw in a c/r with quite a few hands here.

I could see the turn check being a big hand if he knows that the A is likely to help you. This way he can get another bet out of you.

I think this is where you get rid of the hand. I think he most likely has a strong hand that he has been slowplaying and he occasionally has a bluff. However, it is going to probably cost you another ~100 to find out if he was bluffing because he will bet again on the river. So you are really getting ~220:150. It doesn't sound that profitable to me.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 PM

Assume we got there on the river with the same action and face the same shove; what do we call him with out of AK/64/A4/A6/K5/44?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assume we got there on the river with the same action and face the same shove; what do we call him with out of AK/64/A4/A6/K5/44?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure what you mean. Can you rephrase?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM

If we had AK in this spot could we call? Probably not.
If we had 64 in this spot could we call? etc...
Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I see... good question..

Since I think this guy either has a monster or a bluff, isn't pretty much all over our hands just bluff catchers?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I see... good question..

Since I think this guy either has a monster or a bluff, isn't pretty much all over our hands just bluff catchers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I am getting at is... if he either has a set or better or complete air... does it even matter what we have? I don't think so.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is solid NL400 multitabling regular. Understands the concept of late position blind steals, likes to float. 14.5/5.8/2.8.

Is my line OK?

SB: $565.35
<font color="black">BB: $488.20</font>
UTG: $656.26
UTG+1: $394
MP1: $305.14
MP2: $729.10
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $409.50</font>
BTN: $444.10

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A J (8 Players)
4 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $16</font>, 2 folds, BB calls $12

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($34) 6 4 5 (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($34) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $18</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $68</font>, Hero calls $50

<font color="black">River:</font> ($170) 5 (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets all-in for $404.20</font>, Hero folds

[/ QUOTE ]

14.5/6 is nearing nitville. He is playing big cards and pocket pairs with the occasional suited connector/suited ace mixed in, but usually not out of position.

I don't understand your comment that he likes to float. He is in the BB here. Floating occurs in position, not out of position. I assume his range is pretty tight out of position in a raised pot.

Finally, I don't know your image. While he may understand late position blind steals, does he think you raise too much from the cutoff? Does he defend his blind liberally? I can't imagine so, with those stats, but who knows.

Your preflop raise is standard. AJ offsuit is a raising hand in late position.

I don't understand your flop check in position. You know you have ace high, but he doesn't know you don't have an overpair to the board. Make a c-bet. While the board is relatively coordinated and he may check-raise, we cannot live in fear of the check-raise. You have nothing anyway, except 2 overcards and a backdoor flush draw. If you bet and win, it's a coup. If you bet and get raised, you can fold in good conscience because you aren't forced with giving up any sort of good draw.

As played, when he checks the turn and you bet the Ace, you have defined your hand. You have top pair. Now, I am not saying betting the Ace is necessarily wrong. I am just saying you have defined your hand.

So, when a nit check raises the turn when the Ace hits in a raised pot, he is indicating that he can beat AK. 90% of the time you are beat with AJ here. Fold. His push on the river after your call is even further evidence that he has AK crushed.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As played, when he checks the turn and you bet the Ace, you have defined your hand. You have top pair. Now, I am not saying betting the Ace is necessarily wrong. I am just saying you have defined your hand.

So, when a nit check raises the turn when the Ace hits in a raised pot, he is indicating that he can beat AK. 90% of the time you are beat with AJ here. Fold. His push on the river after your call is even further evidence that he has AK crushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Betting the turn doesn't define his hand. The A is a good bluff card after villain checks twice and he only made a 1/2 pot bet. Calling the CR does define his hand a lot though.

I agree that he is almost always beat when villain pushes river. It's a good spot to push ATC but so few people at $400NL are actually capable of doing this.