Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Is this close?

Live game 1$ / 2$ pot limit
People behave extremely loose like micro stakes (typical for live game)

Reads:
BB has long poker experience, plays too loose preflop, check/calls with TPnoK, if the bets are small, usually calls on the flop and folds on the turn. I have seen him sometimes lead the flop, but those rare occasions never went to showdown. Chips: 60

UTG: Only good player on table (besides me). Knows, that I'm also good. Is the only one, who can fold, if he thinks, he's beaten. UTG knows BB very well. He has everybody covered.

Me: Playing tight aggressive, however have been quite unlucky with the timing of recent bluffs. Chips: 200

Players behind me: Have been on tilt one hour ago, now seem to have cooled down a little. Call the flop after a raise too often. Chips: 100

Action:

UTG makes potsized raise to 7

My hand: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I decide, against my normal play, not to reraise, because I have never reraised the whole evening. People learned my preflop raises to respect, as I showed down Aces several times. However, everybody calls down to the end with TP, so I hoped for a save flop rather than to win small against UTG or get busted against a set of him.

I call.

One player behind me calls, both blinds call. 5 people, pot: 35

Flop
T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Big blind leads out with a pot sized bet, UTG calls hesitantly.

What do I do?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Is this close?

IMHO I think you know the mistake began preflop with not 3betting/reraising.

But we're here now, for the reasons you gave [which are understandable] and on a crappy flop 5way.

BB i put on a basbyish flush/lone heart like ace hearts, AT, set - to lead into 5way pot he's got either a really strong hand or is blufifg and will check the turn.

UTG I put on ovepair like JJ may be AK/AQ 1 heart, may be a set.

Without a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] but in the effective CO I would call flop and use our position to see what happens on the turn where the big made hands will likely go to war/ or turn blanks and our equity goes up if turn isn't raised.

Tricky, but I think we have to try and get to showdown/see as many streets and other players reactions as possible before we decide to put many chips in.

I hope after this hand you returned to your normal 3betting.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 AM

I donīt think this is what you would consider a safe flop 5 way. Also the betting on the flop is worrying. I donīt think you slowplayed pf so you could get it in flipping at best. Your plan backfired, now fold.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:08 AM

In fact, I folded.

Not 3-betting was an error, and I had the worst of it. The hand turned out as follows:

Turn is a blank, 2 players, BB bets 20 (all in), UTG calls.
River is a blank.

BB shows top pair and a small heart, UTG shows an overpair (JJ) without any heart.

I didn't tell anybody, what I had folded, and continued to play normally. But later, I wondered, how much I lost:

7, because thats all the money I had put in?
Or 140, because that was the pot in the end?
Or 50, because this was my fair share of the pot on the flop, knowing my opponents cards?
Or did I make a +EV decision, "correctly" folding against my opponents hand ranges?

What do you think?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 AM

"I decide, against my normal play, not to reraise, because I have never reraised the whole evening. People learned my preflop raises to respect, as I showed down Aces several times."

I think the way to deal with this issue is not to smooth call ur premiums but to 3-bet other hands when u think your opponents are not as strong and when u have position. this takes advantage of your tight image and avoids getting into spots like this hand.

as for dealing with loose passive players loosen up when in position and try to catch them postflop.

what u actually gave up is the amount UTG (and other donks behind u) would have called when he called your RR, and the amount of money u can win by 3-betting with other hands. at a table of callign stations u must play your premiums strongly.

the fold on the flop is okay, the result of the hand is what happens when u play with donks.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:42 AM

I think the results shows quite clearly why this is a fold on the flop. You are looking at a best case scenario and BB is still a slight favorite over your hand (51%). Now throw in a couple of hands you are stone cold dead to and this is an easy fold.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 AM

Although most posters agree with my decision to fold, I still think, it's close.
I assume, I beat UTG for sure, if no more heart comes. And I have pot odds of 3 to 1.
If I calculate the BB for 50% to have the flush and for 50% drawing, the odds are exactly there.
If I prognose, that there might even be a side pot on the river, when no heart shows, UTG checks and I make a bet, which looks like a bluff and is called, I'm a favorite.

So, next time (should I come into the same situation again, for what reason ever), I would prefer a call down, if there's no forth heart and no raise.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 AM

call flop
call all in on turn blank as long as utg doesnt push. with respect to your image he probly wouldnt with jj.
proceed to check down.
live games are notorious for action like this. trust your reads
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I decide, against my normal play, not to reraise, because I have never reraised the whole evening. People learned my preflop raises to respect

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't help you with this particular hand, but this tells me you should be 3-betting preflop more often. You're losing a lot of value by not doing so, if you're getting that much respect.

I understand your thinking for not reraising here, but I can't agree with it. Your position is poor, and at a loose live game such as this, a smooth call is likely to get multiple callers, exactly what you do not want with KK.

[ QUOTE ]
What do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a multiway pot with a flushing board, a pot-sized bet from the blinds, an early position call, and several players left to act?

Fold - and it's not even close.