Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Live 40: Overpair on a monotone flop

Playing a live 40-80 game, its pretty good. I’ve been at the table for about an hour and am running well and playing a decent number of hands, but I’ve only been showing down strong starting hands and winning them. MP1 is a decent playing TAG who plays a few too many hands. The BB is a bad (loose and passive) player who is on a 40 hour poker bender and is falling asleep between hands.

I have J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB.

Folded to MP1 who opens. Folded to me in the SB and I make it 3 bets to go. BB literally wakes up looks at his cards and cold calls. MP1 calls and its 3 to the flop for 9sb.

2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls and MP1 raises. What’s my action and general plan for the hand?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Live 40: Overpair on a monotone flop

I want to raise now and put 2 cold on BB. I'm of the opinion that putting the most bets in with the best hand is never a bad play. And you're going to be ahead here a good percent of the time. If MP1 calls/caps, you can give him big club, top pair with club, set.

The rest of the hand will play itself. One luxary you do have is betting first after the turn card. donking safe turn cards is going to help define the opponents holdings. If something like a red rag comes and you donk and they call, they're playing their hands face up. If you donk a safe card and are once again raised, then it really depends which of the players raise you. At that point it seems like a call down situation depending on the specific cards to come off.

my .02cents
Old 05-07-2007, 04:51 PM

3-bet and fire turn, or call and donk turn... mix it up from how you have played other hands on the night - fwiw c/r turn is awful here, it checks around too much imo...
*amusing line i took in similar hand while back: call mp raise and dark bet...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:03 PM

I'd just 3-bet and lead the turn.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing a live 40-80 game, its pretty good. I’ve been at the table for about an hour and am running well and playing a decent number of hands, but I’ve only been showing down strong starting hands and winning them. MP1 is a decent playing TAG who plays a few too many hands. The BB is a bad (loose and passive) player who is on a 40 hour poker bender and is falling asleep between hands.

I have J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB.

Folded to MP1 who opens. Folded to me in the SB and I make it 3 bets to go. BB literally wakes up looks at his cards and cold calls. MP1 calls and its 3 to the flop for 9sb.

2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls and MP1 raises. What’s my action and general plan for the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to raise now and try to get rid of the BB, who may be holding overcards.

Also, you need to thwart what might be a free card raise from a single big club and then lead on the turn if a non-club hits.

If a club hits on the turn you no longer have to worry about giving a free card to a club draw. I check call all the way from there. You may induce bets or bluffs from a weaker hand such as a smaller flush or just tens. But you don't need to get raised by a bigger flush.

Careful if he checks behind after a club hits on the turn. He may figure that you would fold on the turn if he bets but that you might bet the river after he checks his big flush. That's how I'd play the ace of clubs in his position if I saw you as an aggressive player who will always jump on any sign of weakness.

Betting the turn when a club hits, with the plan of folding to a raise, is very risky. I would make a free show down raise instantly in his position if I thought you were a modern TAG who likes to bet/fold. I'd do this with only tens. If you bet the turn you have to call down.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]