Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Nl25 J9s hit trips on flop tough turn/river decision

Villian is: 40/20/1.28 over 213 hands. My thoughts about this hand are that I had to raise the flop instead of just calling because it was drawy.

The riverbet from him screemed like a valuebet so I folded, maybe i should have folded after his turn reraise? Or raise the turn myself?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $27.10
<font color="black">BB: $33.75</font>
UTG: $21.70
<font color="black">MP: $22.95</font>
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $25.10</font>
BTN: $27.50

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $0.75</font>, Hero calls $0.75, 2 folds, BB calls $0.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($2.35) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">MP bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1, BB calls $1

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($5.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">MP bets $1.50</font>, Hero calls $1.50, <font color="red">BB raises to $4</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $2.50

<font color="black">River:</font> ($14.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $7</font>, Hero folds

Pot Size: $21.85 ($0.70 Rake)
Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Nl25 J9s hit trips on flop tough turn/river decision

I don't think the flop call is all that bad, since original raiser might have an overpair and you are giving him another chance to fire on the turn and you don't know the BB is going to call.

I would raise the turn though, as now the BB could definitely be on a draw. As it turns out, it seems like he has a made hand that he was slowplaying and if he comes over the top of you as well he is representing a monster and you might find a fold.

As played, I think I would call the 1/2 pot river bet though, you're getting about 3 to 1 and your kicker isn't that bad vs. a loosish (VPIP 40%) player.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Flop call not terrible. In general, however, I think raising is better in a 3way pot with a flop like this which has a couple of straight draws (i.e. 559r is better to slowplay). As played You. Must. Raise. Turn. As played call river.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:41 PM

I tend to play pretty aggressive with trips, but even keeping that in mind, I think the play here was a little too passive. I definitely raise the flop (pot-sized raise to $6 looks good), then if the BB is still in on the turn and still checks, the pot is at least $15 (our stack is $18 at this point) so I push.

There's no flush, straight flush or quads here, so you're only really worried about the straight, the boat, or another set of 9s with a better kicker. Maybe I stack off here, but I think you've got a good chance of taking it down with a turn push, and if you don't, you've still got a decent chance of showing down the best hand.

{edit}
Oh yeah... As played:

Turn: Raise, probably to $7-10. Might even push here (hell, I'd PROBABLY push).
River: Call, for sure.