Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Default I am a rock

Being a mac poker player, have only just got a program to track my stats (Mac Poker Pro). Over about 1200 hands, at Full Tilt .25/.5 I am a rock.

Two questions:

1. Being a rock means my VPIP is too low. I used to follow the starting hand table in SSHE, but now prefer to use King Yao’s recommendations. Either way, if I just follow one of these recommendations, shouldn’t my VPIP not be closer to standard?

2. Should I/ Can I exploit this? If people have me down as a rock can I raise with weaker hands, bluff a bit more? Alternatively should I look for particularly tight tables?

Any thoughts/ advice much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: I am a rock

1200 hands mean nothing. No, you probably can't bluff much because someone who isn't paying attention will call you down and someone who is paying attention will notice that you bluff.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 PM

It's not necessarily your VPIP.

It's possible that you don't or rarely raise PF and/or flop because you only raise when you're almost certain that you will win. If you never raise a strong flush draw or an OESD, your stats will probably tend toward 'rockish'.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:49 PM

1200 hands? I've played that much yesterday. Stats:

Vpip 15%
Pfr 12%
Went to showdown 30%
Won at showdown 30%
BB/h -3.6

What should I conclude? I'm a losing player as I win small pots and lose big pots. Rather than wasting my money on poker where I have 1200 hands of evidence that I suck, I should start focussing on Chess again.

Right?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:53 PM

IMHO there is nothing you can conclude from your stats so far. 1200 hands just isn't enough. 12,000 hands isn't enough.

Remember you have yourself for 1200 hands but your average opponent a) is likely not paying attention. 2) if he is in the minority that is paying attention he has you only for the number of hands you have played with him.

Pure bluffing at .25/.50 is a pretty good way to waste money (again just my opinion) no matter how many stats you have accrued.

Someone, Wookie maybe, said in a recent thread. Value betting is the most effective tool in these kind of stakes games. I believe that.

IMO Fancy plays of any kind, especially when based on stats and/or partial reads are a losing proposition at micro stakes. Bet or raise if you are probably ahead. Call if you are behind but have solid outs/pot odds to draw. Fold if you are behind in small pots and when you don't have plenty of outs. That is the basis for a winning strategy. Later when you are more comfortable with your game you can add learning when to "peel" a flop or stay in a pot longer than usual because of the pot size. Much later, and at higher stakes you can learn and use bluffing techniques and power plays to increase your average win rate ( I think. I'm not there yet so I don't know for sure [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).

The dialogue in these forums, especially from very experienced player/posters is often based in rarely occurring, tightly measured +/- EV situations. Often resulting in the right play being determined by tenths or even hundredths of +/-BB EV. We are talking about a tempest in a teacup here when compared to folding a winning hand in a large pot or to calling down too frequently.

Absolutely no offense intended here but if you are currently using a preflop chart you will be money ahead to learn these plays later. Focus on table selection, seat selection, hand selection, postion implications, value betting, pot odds, and counting outs. Win money.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being a mac poker player, have only just got a program to track my stats (Mac Poker Pro). Over about 1200 hands, at Full Tilt .25/.5 I am a rock.

Two questions:

1. Being a rock means my VPIP is too low. I used to follow the starting hand table in SSHE, but now prefer to use King Yao’s recommendations. Either way, if I just follow one of these recommendations, shouldn’t my VPIP not be closer to standard?

2. Should I/ Can I exploit this? If people have me down as a rock can I raise with weaker hands, bluff a bit more? Alternatively should I look for particularly tight tables?

Any thoughts/ advice much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand sample is too small. You might not be getting too many quality hands in the short run, you might also be missing opportunities etc...

IMHO, King Yao's pf chart is made for those trying to further refine their pf skills. In other words, its meant for players who are able to play decently post-flop, put players on a range of hands, blind steal etc. SSHE's chart is a great start. Stick to it, learn it and understand how and why it works. You will improve.

Its best not to bluff at the micros. They will not work often enough to carry a +EV.

Regarding looking for tight tables.....observe and see if you can identify loose and tight tables first. Then observe which players make the tables tight or loose. That will give you more opportunity to understand why certain hands should be played in certain situations, and how they can be played...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet or raise if you are probably ahead. Call if you are behind but have solid outs/pot odds to draw. Fold if you are behind in small pots and when you don't have plenty of outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-07-2007, 03:49 PM

we're not good with generalizations around here. post some hands so we can get an idea of how you play. Don't post more than 2 per day and wait until at least two people have responded before you, yourself respond.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its best not to bluff at the micros. They will not work often enough to carry a +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is just wrong. You can easily find weak-tight/MUBSY/plain awful players at the micros, so bluffing is a sigificant part of the game. You just need to pick your spots as always. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM

anyone else get a Simon and Garfunkel song stuck in their head when they read the title??