Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Pretty simple $55 STT hand

First level of a Party Poker $55 STT. I'm in the BB with QQ amd 2000 chips.

It's folded to the villain on the button who makes it 140 to go with blinds 20/40. I make it 500. He calls.

Flop is A-A-2R.

I check.
He bets 710 and now has 740 left so I....???
Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Pretty simple $55 STT hand

Probably would need more info on him to know what way i would play the hand. If hes decent there he will bet an A if hes a bad player hes putting in half his stalk thinking you have KK or QQ and have to fold. Alot of time i throw it away you still have 1500 but if hes loose or wreckless i prob go all in. I think you need to give some info on villian though.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 AM

Meh, sometimes i check call down, sometimes i fold. Depends on my mood.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 AM

His range is pretty narrow and includes AK or AQ (very thin perhaps), AA/KK can both be thrown out I think, JJ/TT are possibilities.

Tough spot, I fold personally because with 1500 early on I can still do fine, rather than hoping that my QQ is good here

edit: and if you're willing to check/call this down (essentially all in on the turn), then why didn't you just lead the flop if you're willing to go broke? atleast then you'd know where you stood
Old 05-07-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're willing to check/call this down (essentially all in on the turn), then why didn't you just lead the flop if you're willing to go broke? atleast then you'd know where you stood

[/ QUOTE ]

because hes never folding an ace, and you induce him to bluff off his stack with 77. I would check this flop most of the time with all my holdings.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're willing to check/call this down (essentially all in on the turn), then why didn't you just lead the flop if you're willing to go broke? atleast then you'd know where you stood

[/ QUOTE ]

because hes never folding an ace, and you induce him to bluff off his stack with 77. I would check this flop most of the time with all my holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you will put in another 700 or whatever on the flop when he bets, hoping he doesn't have the ace...but you probably go broke here more often than not

or you bet the flop yourself and allow yourself to either take the pot right there or stay alive with 800 or so chips after he calls/pushes. Im definitely not calling a push even with 3/5 of my chips in there
Old 05-07-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you will put in another 700 or whatever on the flop when he bets, hoping he doesn't have the ace...but you probably go broke here more often than not

or you bet the flop yourself and allow yourself to either take the pot right there or stay alive with 800 or so chips after he calls/pushes. Im definitely not calling a push even with 3/5 of my chips in there

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i probably check fold more often than call down, but if i get the feeling hes FOS i really don't mind looking him up. Fake timing tell on flop, and snapcall his turn push and beat his KQ. I dunno, i think we are ahead of his range preflop by a fair bit and its not too bad to get allin here.

However if you cbet you'll get allin vs a worse hand just about never (but you don't go broke). The advantage with checking is he won't bet here all the time, he will often check behind and fire once on the turn and give up on river, or he'll just fire once with his KQ and give up.

You don't know for sure hes going to keep firing at it so i usually will check and see what happens.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 AM

Fwiw I agree w/ TwistedEcho 100%.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 PM

I pushed and he folded. I'd imagine he had 77-JJ. I think he will have an ace here almost never so I'm only worried about KK, and KK would almost never cold call preflop and bet the flop like this since one of us is miles ahead of the other.

I hate leading the flop as it allows him to shove over the top of me with hands that I beat and It's a call I'd rather not make even though I'd look very pot committed.

I don't like cold calling his flop bet because he will just assume I have an ace and shut down., If I shove I just might get a call from JJ/TT. I'd like to think i got him to fold the other Queens. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]