Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 06:39 AM

Default 3$ stars-AQ UTG all the way to the river

Any advice on all streets is appreciated

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1420)
Hero (t1595)
UTG+1 (t1680)
UTG+2 (t1430)
MP1 (t1470)
MP2 (t1270)
MP3 (t1475)
CO (t1240)
Button (t1440)
SB (t1980)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t105) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t90</font>, CO calls t90, BB folds.

Turn: (t285) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, CO calls t120.

River: (t525) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

Final Pot: t1125
Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Re: 3$ stars-AQ UTG all the way to the river

Bet more on the turn (t220).

That river card is really ugly. Not sure I pay, really. A fold seems better.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 AM

Yeah turn bet was weak, and the river was basically the worst card for me.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 AM

I like a fold preflop with 10 players, but a limp is ok
bet around t200 on the turn and fold river
Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 AM

I prefer to fold or raise pre-flop. The problem with limping is that when the A comes on the flop no-one is going to give you credit for a big hand and you have to bet more to make them fold, + there will be more of them.

The turn bet is too small.

In situations where the "danger card" hits on the River I sometimes bet it anyway to try to show I'm not afraid of it. Otherwise you give the opponent the opportunity to take it off you. This depends on my stack and reads.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 AM

Yes, blocking the river (t100 or so) might be a good idea, I think.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to fold or raise pre-flop. The problem with limping is that when the A comes on the flop no-one is going to give you credit for a big hand and you have to bet more to make them fold, + there will be more of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

if we hit an ace we don't want credit for a big hand, we also don't want them to fold! I don't get your post, if we hit we want them to keep calling, you can't be scared of them sucking out.

Limping AQ early is really standard in sngs. Keep the pot small and try to make a hand, if you miss you get away really cheap, if you get raised you can just drop it.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 AM

A pair is always a vulnerable hand when there are a lot of limpers. Even Aces. I don't think you want multiple limpers calling you all the way to the river.

It is a much safer way to win chips by raising the pot, reducing the number of callers and betting out with a good hand. If they all fold post flop then the chips are already in.

Plus the BB gets a free shot with any two cards. If people pay to play it is easier to put tham on a hand.

Looking at this specific example, the flop has come with both flush and straight draw possibilities. If you limp, any jackass with two of the same suit will limp, which leaves you more exposed to the flush draw. The eight on the turn could have made someone a straight, again, someone who might have folded preflop with a raise.

I think this case is a classic example of playing too soft and letting someone outdraw you on the cheap.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 AM

People don't like folding. You raise AQ and everyone with 89s, JQo, KJo, A9o will still call you and now you have a bigger pot where you'll be out of position and still not really know where you stand.

If you limp you can just keep the pot small, sure people might limp and outflop you but you shouldn't just stack off on an A97T board with AQ.

Maybe you should signup for sngicons? Would probably help your game.

And who cares about playing soft, its a sng you DONT want to risk all your chips early, coinflipping is bad etc - so if you open for a raise you might thin the field down a little bit, but you will get callers (esp at this low a limit) and you will be OOP with a marginal hand. If you aren't confident with playing AQ in a limped pot early, just fold it.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:18 AM

BTW i guess i should clarify, i don't mind raising it, but i think limping is clearly better. If you sign up for sngicons you see all the really good players limping it too, so if thats how they play it, that should mean something.