Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Rep. Berkley introduces gambling study bill

Rep. Berkley introduces gambling study bill
11:42 AM, Saturday, May 5, 2007 by Sarah Polson

Online gambling seems to be on the forefront of more than a few minds of Congressmen, as Rep. Shelley Berkley has followed up the introduction of legislation last week by Rep. Barney Frank with another Internet gambling bill.

Berkley (D-Nev.) introduced H.R. 2140 in the House of Representatives Thursday.

The bill asks for a study to be done by the National Academy of Sciences to identify the proper response of the United States to the growth of Internet gambling. Her bill is cosponsored by 60 Congressman, including Frank.

The first action taken on the bill was to refer it to the three committees: Judiciary, Financial Services, and Ways and Means.

While Berkley has been in support of repealing an online gambling ban in the United States, she said in the Las Vegas Review-Journal, "One of the advantages of this legislation is that it doesn't take a side. It doesn't say Internet gambling is good or bad. It says 'Let's study the issue.'"

Berkley is also a cosponsor for Frank's bill, H.R. 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007, which seeks to set up legislation and licensing for online gambling operators.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Rep. Berkley introduces gambling study bill

isn't proving poker a game of skill bad for fish?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Marginally, probably, but this has nothing to do with the proposed study bill.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Does anyone have a copy or link to the actual Bill introduced ?

Is there a link to the bill ?

As the press and forum descriptions of Barney Frank's bill were WAY off from what was actually introduced, it would be useful for us all to be on the same page in this thread.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Does anyone have a copy or link to the actual Bill introduced ?

Link to the bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-2140

I e-mailed the following to my Congressman, Peter King, who is a co-sponsor of Frank's bill:

[ QUOTE ]
Congressman King:

Last week, Rep. Shelley Berkley introduced H.R. 2140, "To provide for a study by the National Academy of Sciences to identify the proper response of the United States to the growth of Internet gambling."

I know that you are a co-sponsor of the bill that Barney Frank recently introduced to move towards legalizing and regulating Internet gambling, H.R. 2046. I would also like to see you co-sponsor Ms. Berkley's bill, as that bill is along the same lines as H.R. 2046.

It is my strong belief that, as President Reagan said, "Government is not the solution to the problem - government is the problem." In my opinion this especially applies to issues regarding leisure activities that adults like to engage in their spare time, such as Internet gambling.

I would rather see H.R. 2046 passed before H.R. 2140 since the former will have a more immediate effect, but they are both a step in the right direction. I did vote against you in 2006, but you will certainly get my vote back if you continue to support and vote for these and any similar bills.

Thank you,

[Name]
[Town]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how many people do you know that think of themselves as bad poker players?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, IMHO. It may help. They think they're skilled! That's why they keep coming back for more. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Link to the bill:

I e-mailed the following to my Congressman, Peter King, who is a co-sponsor of Frank's bill...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice letter! Please also snail-mail a hard copy.

I have a lot of respect for King and Wexler. They were once against us. Each actually spoke out in favor of banning online gambling on the House floor. They each took a deep look at the issue and came around, not because they were pressured into changing their minds by interest groups, but because they decided to do what was right. It's good to see some politicians do still actually think, and it's also good to see some will vote on convictions.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Link to the bill:

I e-mailed the following to my Congressman, Peter King, who is a co-sponsor of Frank's bill...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice letter! Please also snail-mail a hard copy.

I have a lot of respect for King and Wexler. They were once against us. Each actually spoke out in favor of banning online gambling on the House floor. They each took a deep look at the issue and came around, not because they were pressured into changing their minds by interest groups, but because they decided to do what was right. It's good to see some politicians do still actually think, and it's also good to see some will vote on convictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any proof on their apparent change of heart or are you just extrapolating?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:18 AM

Things like this make me think our government might still be able to actually work, albeit a small chance.

It's good to see some of our congress realize they were tricked into approving this bill and want to actually see if it's something they would want or not.