Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Desktop buzzing

So what is most likely the problem. The noise seems most prevelant towards the front of the tower.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Desktop buzzing

Turn it off, open the case, and clean off all the moving parts (read: fans). If you have that compressed-air stuff, use that.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:41 PM

Usually this will be a problem with one of your fans, be it case, cpu, or video card (or possibly power supply but that would probably be loudest toward the rear). If your computer is dusty, clean it as best you can and see if that helps.

edit: you are too fast for me Sam
Old 05-06-2007, 11:44 PM

ok, I just did that actually....is it safe to run it with the case open to diagnose exactly where the sound is coming from?

FWIW: The computer was purchased in October, was a littly dusty. Last time I cleaned inside was prolly a few months.

I'm just really worried it was the HD.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Sure is, I had a computer (as in just motherboard, HD, no case) running on a top of a desk for years without a problem.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:52 PM

uhhhh, I can't really tell where it's coming from....dusting did nothing. Sounds very bad

EDIT: when I shutdown I can tell it's something spinning because it gets slower and slower

EDIT 2: It definitely wasn't the case fan and didn't sound like the power supply fan. That leaves the HD and motherboard fan correct? I'm thinking of taking it to our techies here at school tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 AM

mmm... well this is kinda sketchy advice but it is what I have done in the past to figure out which fan was the problem. You can take say a plastic pen (not the writing end of course) and very gently tap it against your fans while running. If the buzzing changes pitch, bingo.

Many people are kind of afraid of their computers and wouldn't dream of attempting it. *shrug* up to you. If you are very gentle you can't do much damage with a nonconductive/nonabrasive instrument.

At least for the most part the fans are magnetically driven, so even if you stopped them by jamming the pen in (I have done this but I don't recommend it) it most likely wouldn't be a problem.

The other option is to disconnect the various fans and see if that stops the noise. In theory if you are doing this you should have a ESD wrist strap (for your cpu fan/video card fan). If you can see where your case fans are connected you could disconnect those but be careful not to touch any components.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT 2: It definitely wasn't the case fan and didn't sound like the power supply fan. That leaves the HD and motherboard fan correct? I'm thinking of taking it to our techies here at school tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Video card fan and CPU fan. My guess is video card fan, I have had a few of them start to go out on me. Could also be a fan on your MB too, like northbridge or whatever.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 AM

Is there a disk in the optical drive? (DVD/CDROM) That's another moving part.

[ QUOTE ]
gently tap it against your fans while running. If the buzzing changes pitch, bingo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pressing on the top is a great idea. I was going to suggest the flat-out stopping. I've never broken a fan, and I've accidently stopped plenty. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
edit: you are too fast for me Sam

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not always the first reply, so I just delete all the posts before mine.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:04 AM

in further diagnosis with my ear....the vid card fan is a little noisy (I think it's been that way since Day 1) and I really feel the noise is coming from the HD. I will report back tomorrow what ITS thinks in case other people come across this problem/issue.

Vid card is GeForce7950 purchased 2 1/2 months ago, I'd be pretty disappointed if the fan crapped out already.