Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:38 PM

Default pump then dump

full 20/40... i'm running well and have only shown good cards... villain is paul, old guy who's waiting for bigger games... the only other altercation with him, i showed down AA after he donked then folded to 3 bet on 7 high flop.... villain complained that i raise his blinds every time, which might be true but i actaully happened to have good cards...

all fold to me on button, hero opens w/ Q8o... villain calls in sb, loose passive bb calls too...

853 rainbow flop... villain donks into me... fish folds... i call, planning to raise any turn...

turn: A, putting a flush draw on board...
he donks, i insta-raise, he insta-3 bets, i insta-muck...

is there anyway he's got a worse 8, and he wants to teach me a lesson?

i hate the pump then dump play but... i asked if he had 33, he said "no"...
Old 05-06-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: pump then dump

Im not sure this line is better than the traditional raise, followed by bet/fold on the turn.. It might be though, if villain is the sort to follow thru with a lot of his oop flop bets on the turn.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:07 PM

If you don't feel great about folding to the 3-bet, then I think you are better off just calling the turn and river - you get to see a showdown for the same about of bets and you keep him firing if he's bluffing. The A is a bad card for you because it'll kill your action when you are ahead, and he may have just caught up. All the more reason to just call down, imo.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:12 PM

I think folding the turn is good.

Villain thinks he has you beat- looks like he thinks he can beat Ax.

I also like raising the flop, particularly since its somewhat dry (ie he's probably going to bluff with a cr, the donk is for value, so raise to extract from worse 8s and 5s). Raising the flop and bet/folding to a turn cr would be my primary line here.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:22 PM

yah, i raise flop donk 99% of the time, but i just decided to mix up my play (perhaps unwisely)...
Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Once the turn comes like this I think I might change my plan and just hope he has some random bluff, but after writing this I'm not really sure this is right. He will 3bet like 0% with a worse hand I'd guess, he will fold 2 overcards, he will never fold a pair.

Were you value betting the river if he called? Obviously just raising the flop is the normal play, if he 3bet there I would think about capping or calling and raising turn (if you had A8 I would almost for sure). Originally I was trying to argue against your line, but now I actually think I like it.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:14 AM

yah, i was probably value betting river..

one benefit for my line is that i could possibly get a hand a "tricky" 99-kk to fold or is this just a pipe-dream?

y do you say that paul folds a pair almost never, even 3, 5 or 8?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 AM

I seriously doubt that he's folding any pair against you. If it's possible for him to teach you a lesson he'll probably try and do it.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 AM

Good meeting you.

I am not sure who the villian is but your play in fine. When you get 3 bet here it doesn't matter what he thinks of you or your family or your dog. You played your hand like an ace that peeled the flop, then spiked, and he simply doesn't care. This is 20/40 not the commerce 1/2 and old guys aren't likely to be putting big plays on with 78 here.

I guess I gotta start paying attention to these guys names since it may help a bit.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 AM

I'm guessing Paul is a regular in the NL games? I've never heard of him and he sounds like a really emotional player, and everyone knows the names of the emotional players.