Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:12 AM

Default 25NL KJs -- Something I\'ve been doing more and more . . .

The wisdom of this play depends in part, I'll admit, on what Villain is going to do with his various possible holdings after my flop check. And, well, in this case Villain is 28/5/2 after 88 and hadn't played any big pots yet. For better or worse, I didn't anticipate any big overbets from him.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($4.60)
Hero ($54)
MP ($22.20)
Button ($32.70)
SB ($19.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5 . . .</font>

Thoughts? I think I would have played KJo the same way on the flop (but I would have called with that on the turn instead of raising).

I'm a player with mostly a limit background, and it feels weird to me to play this way, but I think maybe there's a legitimate rationale behind it.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: 25NL KJs -- Something I\'ve been doing more and more . . .

Wtf at checking behind this flop. You basically turn the nuts (in more ways than one) into a bluff on the turn. Raising the turn here looks VERY strong. Seriously you bet the flop so when you hit the flush, it will be concealed.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:16 AM

why no c-bet?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wtf at checking behind this flop. You basically turn the nuts (in more ways than one) into a bluff on the turn. Raising the turn here looks VERY strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, except that if I was really bluff-raising, I'd be hoping for a fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously you bet the flop so when you hit the flush, it will be concealed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there is something to that. It's entirely possible this play would be better suited for a more aggressive opponent.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why no c-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that on this particular flop only better hands, worse flush draws, and QT/QT/JT call me. So, yeah, there's some value in a bet versus a worse draw, but my thinking at the time was that that didn't make up enough of Villain's range.

The idea was that the only hands he'll play a big pot with are the ones I don't want to play a big pot with (at least not yet).

Still, I wasn't really expecting us to go all-in on the flop if I bet (although I would have grudgingly been willing to), so maybe the thing to do, really, was c-bet, deal with a checkraise if it comes, take the pot immediately instead a huge chunk of the time, and then (if I just get called) decide what to do on the turn after I get checked to again.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:37 AM

you gave yourself the anwser i wanted to give [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
so maybe the thing to do, really, was c-bet, deal with a checkraise if it comes, take the pot immediately instad a huge chunk of the time, and then (if I just get called) decide what to do on the turn after I get checked to again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-06-2007, 05:41 AM

You're building a pot when you hit your flush, that's where the value is. He isn't going to lay down an ace.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're building a pot when you hit your flush, that's where the value is. He isn't going to lay down an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I guess you think he will versus my turn power-raise?

If your answer is no, then I think my flop check makes more sense than you're giving it credit for. But if your answer is yes, then, yeah, I see what you're saying.

And there are percentages involved, I know, but I'm trying to make the transition over to NL, which is the reason for this post. (I would bet this flop pretty much always in limit.)
Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Here\'s a KJo to look at

This later hand is against the same guy:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($56.70)
MP ($22.20)
Button ($40.50)
SB ($16.50)
BB ($5.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.25</font>, Hero calls $1.25.

Final Pot: $4.75

How does it compare? (Is it just as bad, worse, or better?)
Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 AM

I bet the flop mainly because we flopped a big hand and I want to start building the pot. I would only consider checking if I had a read that SB bets the turn with any two cards when flop is checked through.

I would often check a hand like this in a re raised pot though.