Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 02:59 PM

Default future of online poker in Canada

As a relative newcomer to poker who lives in Canada I'm concerned about the future of online poker in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian government follows the US lead and bans online play for us too. And because of the recent announcement from Neteller regarding Canadian players it seems that things may be happening even faster than I expected.
What I'd like to know is how you US players have adjusted to the new laws so that you can continue to play online. Has anybody put up a blog/site that details how to get around the laws in the US? And also, for those of you who are Canadian, what are your plans for when the laws are changed for us?
Any info or referrals to info appreciated... feel free to PM me if paranoid.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: future of online poker in Canada

[ QUOTE ]
What I'd like to know is how you US players have adjusted to the new laws so that you can continue to play online. Has anybody put up a blog/site that details how to get around the laws in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing online poker is NOT illegal in the US. (Aside from some states that specifically ban it) The new laws simply told banks/e-wallets that they must try to stop FUNDING gambling sites.

In prohibition days, it was illegal to make or sell alcohol, but not illegal to drink it. This is much the same as internet poker now.

But to get back to your question, most people are funding their accounts using All-Acess Visa cards. There are still functioning E-wallets as well. My friend who just started on Full Tilt told me that his DEBIT card from his bank account worked just fine!

Basically, just find a way to fund your account. When you want to cash out, get a check. *shrug*
Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a relative newcomer to poker who lives in Canada I'm concerned about the future of online poker in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian government follows the US lead and bans online play for us too. And because of the recent announcement from Neteller regarding Canadian players it seems that things may be happening even faster than I expected.
What I'd like to know is how you US players have adjusted to the new laws so that you can continue to play online. Has anybody put up a blog/site that details how to get around the laws in the US? And also, for those of you who are Canadian, what are your plans for when the laws are changed for us?
Any info or referrals to info appreciated... feel free to PM me if paranoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

The current governement has stated they have no intention of getting involed in online poker. You shouldn't have any fear of ending up like our friends to the south.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The current governement has stated they have no intention of getting involed in online poker. You shouldn't have any fear of ending up like our friends to the south.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, remember where you heard that? Could be just a tactic, I'm not about to start believing politicians now [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], or just because I like what they are saying. Been to http://www.savecanadianpoker.com/ ?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:21 AM

the Canadian govt has given no indication that it has any plans to get involved in online poker. The neteller situation was likely caused be pressure from the U.S DOJ on Neteller, and nothing to do with pending Canadian legislation.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:29 AM

Default Neteller comments on pullout from Canada, company shellshock from US

I was in Amsterdam for the CAC last week.

Neteller sent a representative to speak. He was describing China as a grey area market. As Canada was also considered a grey area market, I asked him "why pull out of Canada, there is not even a pending attempt to outlaw online poker ?"

His response was much less about any specific threat than a description of a shell-shocked process along these lines:

1. We have a call center in Canada which is our biggest.

2. There is no specific threat.

3. But, on a what if basis, we could not risk jeopardizing that call center, it would be disasterous.

Someone else pressed him on it as well, to which he claimed that "other ewallets pulled out as well". When it was pointed out that Neteller cut out first, there was no response.

Incidently, fwiw, he also said US players can expect money in June.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Neteller comments on pullout from Canada, company shellshock from US

Just don't vote NDP and we'll be fine. Jack Layton is a complete disaster.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Neteller comments on pullout from Canada, company shellshock from US

[ QUOTE ]
I was in Amsterdam for the CAC last week.

Neteller sent a representative to speak. He was describing China as a grey area market. As Canada was also considered a grey area market, I asked him "why pull out of Canada, there is not even a pending attempt to outlaw online poker ?"

His response was much less about any specific threat than a description of a shell-shocked process along these lines:

1. We have a call center in Canada which is our biggest.

2. There is no specific threat.

3. But, on a what if basis, we could not risk jeopardizing that call center, it would be disasterous.

Someone else pressed him on it as well, to which he claimed that "other ewallets pulled out as well". When it was pointed out that Neteller cut out first, there was no response.

Incidently, fwiw, he also said US players can expect money in June.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much what I figured. Thanks for the clarification. I'd always believed that the reason Neteller pulled out was because the call centre was located in Canada. Of course this could all be just PR speak but it does seem to be the only real reason. If Neteller was not based in Canada then I can't see them giving up this much revenue based on uncertainty.