Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Real Life Poker

Hi,

has anyone some suggestions to get the pot size in mind when you are sitting on a real poker table?

If I am not involved in a hand it is very difficult to keep the pot size in my mind when the action is like Check/Bet/Rais and everything after 10 seconds... I tried it preflop with raised 2$ and got three callers (8$ in the pot) but on the flop with the previous action described above, it is really difficult to keep that betting pattern and stuff like other thinks to my mind.

Or does the counting skill come with more experience ?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Real Life Poker

I assume you are talking limit so it really just comes down to training yourself to count bets. The more you do it, the easier it becomes until it's pretty much second nature (doesn't take that long). If you are folded out of the action, keep counting the bets. This is great practice and you will also be abe to get valuable reads on whose chasing with proper odds (decent players) and who isn't esp in smallish pots.
When it comes to keeping track of the pot size in no-limit, well you need to be able to pay real close attention and learn to add real quickly.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 AM

Yes, I am asking for no limit.

Do you think its ok to forget the half bets to keep it easy ? Like BB and SB is in the hand you didnt count the SB unless he completes the SB ? I mean to have just about the exact pot is it OK for the beginning ? I think after you mastered that you can go for more accuracy.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:07 AM

I round up.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM

You shouldn't have that much difficulty with it as long as you stay on top of it pre-flop. Monsterous pots usually have fewer bets in no limit, so just stay on top of it, and round up if necessary. Only a few situations are razor thin, and those that are you can take a minute ot two to think.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:49 PM

I agree with the above posts, that few decisions will be determined by a half bet so you should make your decisions based on your best estimate. What I did want to add is the observations you can make based on your cards and the players giving action going into the flop. If you are aware of the number of players and the odds you are given towards certain hands you can pay attention more to the players and less to the bets.

A good example is holding AK spades with 4 other players going into the flop. You know going into the flop you will give action with an A, a K, or 2 spades on the flop. You knew this because with that many players heading into the flop you had odds to call any bet with a flush draw, as well as the A or K.