Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 12:28 AM

Default The anti station

Frustrated with having cbets not working against calling stations? Of course it's frustrating. We want them to fold to our cbets but still call when we value bet them but we cant have the best of both worlds now can we?

Recently I've been taking the check flop lead turn line by default against these guys. I have know idea why but it works a lot. If I had cbet they'd call the flop turn and possibly river with god knows what kinda junk but it seems if I check flop, lead turn they tend to fold.

My guess is that they are either giving you credit for some strong slowplayed hand, or something that hit the turn. Kind of makes sense since this is exactly how a lot of calling stations will play their own hands. For instance, a lot of loose passive players will raise preflop only with premium hands like JJ+ and AK. So when they've raised AK they'll often check the flop when it misses. They turn a king and they make some small bet because they hope you're going to call.

This sort of makes me think that I'm actually outplaying calling stations. Never thought it was possible, I mean typically I just try and let my cards do the playing and let them hang themselves with they're stupid calls. Kind of nice to have something other than pure value bets to use against calling stations.

Of course this line should'nt be used always as with anything. Board texture can change a lot after the turn.

Thoughts?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: The anti station

I find that the exact opposite is true. They always think I'm bluffing if I check the flop and bet out on the turn.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:40 AM

If this is profitable then why don't you just double barrel more?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find that the exact opposite is true. They always think I'm bluffing if I check the flop and bet out on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should point out that this situation seems to come up for me when I have position on the station. I guess because they limp so often before I raise and most of my raises are in later position. So when the station checks the flop, I check behind, and they check the turn again they've pretty much defined their hand. Most of the time if the turn has improved them in some way they'll make a meekish bet, but the double check usually means that they still have nothing, with only one card to come. Just this evening I've won a few showdowns with Ace high because they actually did pick up a flush draw, missed on the river and I checked behind but a bunch of times they just folded.

Could be the difference in limits too though since I'm playing .02/.05 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2007, 02:21 AM

I have actually been doing this as well lately. It seems to work pretty decent, however I don't have a large enough sample size for actual results.