Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Engagement Rings

So my g/f and I have been looking at engagement rings and have come across a designer A. Jaffe who we like. Has anybody on here heard of this designer and if they do quality work or not?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Engagement Rings

Okay I can't really help you out here, but I don't understand how that works, shopping for rings with your gf. I thought proposing is supposed to be a surprise. If she helps you buy a ring then it's not much of a surprise, is it?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay I can't really help you out here, but I don't understand how that works, shopping for rings with your gf. I thought proposing is supposed to be a surprise. If she helps you buy a ring then it's not much of a surprise, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

For most girls getting engaged is more about getting a ring to show off to her friends than any semblance of romance.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how that works, shopping for rings with your gf. I thought proposing is supposed to be a surprise. If she helps you buy a ring then it's not much of a surprise, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
All this and much, much more on "TOPICS OOT COVERS EVERY COUPLE MONTHS."

Call now; operators are standing by.

edit: OP, I don't know anything about your designer. If he can show you his previous work, and let you physically hold it, as well as giving you certified diamonds, you should be ok. If you like the final product, I don't think you need to worry he'll slip you silver when you asked for platinum, or anything.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:17 PM

www.pricescope.com forums will have all you answers.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha.. spend a huge amount of money on something she's (hopefully) gonna wear everyday for the rest of her life without any input, good plan dude.

imo most who give rings that are truly a surprise (with no input from the girl) will likely end up with a "no" or a divorce/unhappy marriage. Not for just this reason obviously, but because those who have been going out for long enough to know they'll be happy married will be comfortable shopping for this important purchase together. And the "surprise" factor won't be as big of a deal because both parties will have discussed marriage before and be on the same page with each other.

Of course the guy can do something special for a proposal (and not let her know the date/time), but if the girl is really not expecting a proposal anytime soon, then imo it's probably not a good idea. Marriage shouldn't be a total surprise, it should be an agreement. If the romantic total surprise factor is that important, then you're probably still in the "infatuation" stage of your relationship - ie: waaay to early to really know much about the other person.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:28 PM

Guys, c'mon, standard procedure is to ask her best friend to help you pick out a ring, the best friend finds out from your gf under the guise that she will do it all sneaky-like, which one she likes, tells you, you buy it, and everyone can act suprised Its all about plausible deniability.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:37 PM

I just asked my girlfriend to marry me in late March. I did it as a surprise, meaning she didn't know it was going to come. We had talked about it the fact that we wanted to get married but as far as she knew, I did not have a ring yet and had no plans on when I was going to get one.

IMO, you can talk about getting married, but I think it's better if you go out and get the ring without her input. Mine wanted to go look at them a few times, but I managed to get out of it everytime. While this led to some unhappy moods from her, in the end she loved the ring that I got her and she knew that I took my time in picking out the one that I did, instead of just picking up the first one that I saw and she really appreciated it.

Word of advice, talk to her relatives/friends firsthand and get an idea of what she likes. I spoke to her sister, who is close to her and knew what type she had a good feel for. I also knew that my girlfriend didn't really like her best friend's ring, so I made sure not to even bother looking at those types.

Also, don't necessarily go for a huge ring, it's all about the diamond. I luckily had an old girlfriend of mine, to whom I was still friends with, who worked at a jewelers, so she came and helped me pick it out. She gave me solid advice on what was good and what to look for. She also talked to me about the payment plan and let me know what deal was good and what wasn't.

The ring itself that I picked out cost only about $800. However, the diamond that I chose cost $6500. I knew she wanted something that looked good and she jokingly said that it had to be big, so the diamond that I liked ended up 1.24 carat, and while expensive, it was exactly what she wanted and something that she won't want to take off.

As far as actually asking her, another sore point between us was that I told her it wasn't going to happen in a non-special type of way. I wasn't going to do it while we were sitting in a movie theater on a typical date night and I wasn't going to do it after dinner somewhere. So.... I waited until I moved to DC (long story) and when she was with me that weekend, I took her out to visit a few of the sights and did it there, where it really meant something to both of us. She loved it, loved the ring and now has something that hopefully she'll never forgot (or want to).
Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 PM

Honestly, I just like big and shiny. like BIG. I also have long slender fingers. Finger shape is v. important cause if you have a stubby-fingered gf, there are some shapes she cannot wear. HAPPY WEEKEND!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:38 PM

"imo most who give rings that are truly a surprise (with no input from the girl) will likely end up with a "no" or a divorce/unhappy marriage."

Dead wrong . The more emphasis placed on material crap like big rocks for your hands , the more shallow the participants.

If the woman is so shallow that she needs to shop with you then leave her at the mall where she belongs and go get yourself a person instead of "something to hang onto while you are having a root."