Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Major live tourny...pocket 10\'s dilemma

Major live tournament, $500 buy-in, 400 players, second day about 60 players remain. I have roughly 110k in chips, average is about 65k, UTG has me covered with about 125k and UTG+1 has about 50k. Blinds are 2k-4k-200a and UTG raises to 12k, UTG+1 smooth calls, I am next to act with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. What's my line here? UTG is a great tournament player and I have played against him many times, give him credit for a hand, but also know he could make this raise with nothing. UTG+1 is a really tricky player, greast post-flop player, took a couble hard beats that lowered his stack, but still loves to see flops. Is this the perfect time for a squeeze? Can I smooth call here? Is it possible for me to lay this down?
Old 02-17-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Major live tourny...pocket 10\'s dilemma

with that much action left behind you I fold....if you call you will have to fold or push to a reraise behind you especially if UTG or UTG+1 comes over the top of it.

If you re-raise here you have to make it around 40k which is the wrong play with all the action behind you and your chips stack relative to the tourney.

SO I fold.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:42 PM

I think you can lay this down. You have a great player who you respect making a standard UTG raise on a stack larger than yours, and then a very tricky crafty player who flat-calls off 20% of his stack. You're also acting 3rd here at what is presumably close to a full ring table, so there's a lot of potential action behind you too.

I lay this one down. Probably lay down JJ too, but QQ would start to get interesting.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:13 PM

ummmm... why isn't anyone recommending for him to call?
Old 02-17-2006, 06:23 PM

I'M not laying down tens here.
I also don't play many live events and I play aggressively.
Whether I flat call or come over the top largely depends on what I think UTG's range is for raising and what he would call with.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'M not laying down tens here.
I also don't play many live events and I play aggressively.
Whether I flat call or come over the top largely depends on what I think UTG's range is for raising and what he would call with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably flat call. I don't think you can reraise. Any reraise pot commits you and it is way to dangerous to make an overbet push from 3rd position at an UTG raiser and 2nd position caller with TT.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:56 PM

It's very situational.

I like the squeeze play, but its risky because you are behind a tight range for UTG which is most likely. He needs to fold this 1/2 the time for this to be profitable ~(AK--, JJ--).

I don't like a call because:
I doubt you can get another 45K (on avg) of someone elses money to justify the implied odds.
You expose yourself to a huge squeeze play from another player that you don't want to call
The hand will play badly ATF even with position.

It's probably safest just to fold.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:04 PM

I'd kind of like to hear a justification for why you should call a raise and a flatcall of that raise with 6-7 players left to act behind you holding TT. What sort of boards, other than an obvious set, will you feel comfortable playing? What do you do if the other 2 are betting hard on an all undercard flop?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's very situational.

I like the squeeze play, but its risky because you are behind a tight range for UTG which is most likely. He needs to fold this 1/2 the time for this to be profitable ~(AK--, JJ--).

I don't like a call because:
I doubt you can get another 45K (on avg) of someone elses money to justify the implied odds.
You expose yourself to a huge squeeze play from another player that you don't want to call
The hand will play badly ATF even with position.

It's probably safest just to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't make a squeeze play here. You are essentially committing all your chips. If you raise to 40K, you can't fold to a third raise.

Isn't there way too much of a chance that the UTG raiser or 2nd position caller has TT dominated? There is also about a 10% chance that one of the players left to act has you dominated (4/221 * 7 = 28/221; since sometimes 2 players have JJ-AA and it may be 9-handed, we;ll say 10%).
Old 02-17-2006, 07:22 PM

You are allowed to fold whenever the action is on you.

The implication was UTG+1 was light.

JJ is not calling a raise to 45K, probably.

The hand is no good against further action.