Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Posting question

The last few days here in the micros I've seen several threads dealing with posters, and inevitably, someone responds with a variation of this:

[ QUOTE ]
UTG posted, so prolly isn't very good

[/ QUOTE ]

This is likely a common-sense question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway: Should you never post? When you come into a game, do you just wait for the blinds?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Posting question

you should generally wait for the blinds. You could post in the CO also if you really want I guess. Posting is very much like giving your money away because it offers your opponents great odds to play their better hands against you (unless you get real lucky). If you post in the CO, and I'm in the HJ, I'm getting great odds to run you over and try to take the blinds with a marginal holding.

Also, you end up paying 2.5bb for your first orbit. A good micro player's winrate is 2bb/100hands. Imagine he loses 1bb everytime he gets on a new table....plus the rake (plus tip if you play live). Adds up.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:36 AM

I post in CO in full ring, sometimes in the middle positions, but if you are 4 or less positions from the blinds just wait and use the time to get a read on some others at the table.

In 6 max I never post hands are so fast I wait for blinds.

There are some here who debate the longterm value of posting in early positions for the sake of making the few players who pay attention think you are bad. I don't think there are enough players paying attention to make up for the lost equity of paying blinds in bad positions when you don't have to.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you post in the CO, and I'm in the HJ, I'm getting great odds to run you over and try to take the blinds with a marginal holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

But by posting in CO you get great odds+ position to play some marginal hands which can help you to think by playing hands you normally wouldn't
Old 05-04-2007, 02:16 AM

tail, its fine to post in CO. If you want to do the maths then try and work out how much it really costs to post in CO. You can do the same for each position. You can do the same for 6max. So go ahead, do the calculations and post what you find here.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you end up paying 2.5bb for your first orbit.

[/ QUOTE ]
nope. you are paying 1bigblind for 7 hands, then 1.5bigblind for each 10 hands, assuming all 10 seats are 'in the game' and Smallblind=1/2bigblind
edit: I deliberately tried to avoid justing typing BB to avoid bigbet!=bigblind confusion and got it wrong. sigh. it is fixed now. gotta love not being restricted by edit time limits

I like this reason also
[ QUOTE ]
But by posting in CO you get great odds+ position to play some marginal hands which can help you to think by playing hands you normally wouldn't

[/ QUOTE ]

Sitting out til the blinds can also create an image that you might not want. I like to post in CO, and do what I sat down for..play poker. holla.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:08 AM

to elaborate on what aussie said:

posting in CO 10-handed is standard: 1BB/7 hands = .143BB/hand
waiting for BB is otherwise standard: 1.5BB/10 hands = .15BB/hand
posting in CO in less than full ring is less than standard.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:14 AM

I always post, cuz I'm itchy to play.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:04 AM

aussie, buzz, are you guys being serious or not? i have no idea what those numbers mean or how they are derived.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:11 AM

Yes they are.

If you post normal blinds, you pay a big and a small blind for the following orbit of 10 hands. If oyu post in the CO, you pay one big blind for the following 7 hands. Thus his numbers (though BB there means big blind, not big bet).
Old 05-04-2007, 04:21 AM

oh, that. okay.

i thought they were saying it was, say, -.043437lol349 bb/100 to post from x position, or something like that.