Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Ruling on Questionable River Bet

I'd also be interested to hear how I could've played this better. $3-$5NL, 8 handed, I have $1350. 2 limpers, then cutoff seat raises to $25. Button (big stack, $2200) calls, I call in BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], everyone else folds. Hit my flush with 10-6-3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Bet $65 on flop, cutoff folds, button calls. Bet $150 on turn after a harmless 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], button thinks and calls. River is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet $325, button announces a Raise, but pushes out only $600. Dealer counts it out and tells him it has to be at least $650. He says, "well, I'm all in then". Dealer allows the bet, I ask for floor ruling. Floor rules in his favor, saying that since he didn't put out the min raise, that his bet was still "live", meaning he could in fact, go all-in. Button turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for nut flush, and I'm felted.

First question: was the river bet rule correct? I had thought only the min raise would have been allowed. 2nd Question: how many mistakes did I make here? Should I have pushed on the turn? Was my river call bad, or was I just unlucky?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Ruling on Questionable River Bet

It should have been a min raise. He had already put out the amount he wanted to raise so he doesn't get a second chance to increase it except to the minimum allowed. Floor gets a huge KITN.

What did you think you were going to beat when the 4th club came out and he suddenly shows strength for the first time?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 PM

Well, I'm wondering if my disgust at that river card was easily read, and maybe he thought the "all-in" push would scare me off my hand. I think I still would've called the min-raise though, even if it was a mistake. And I wasn't sure that he would've called flop/turn with just the A or K of clubs... I actually thought he had 10s or 6s (flopped a set), and was cautiously hoping for a board pair, but made a move on river when he missed, sensing I didn't like the card. I feel like I played the hand all wrong, regardless of the ruling.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:01 PM

I'd pay off the min raise also but knowing that I'm going to see the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hard to see a set or a straight going over the top here with 4 clubs on board, even with your reaction. That would be a maniac play.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 PM

What about my flop/turn bets? Should I have bet more (or pushed)?
Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post it in the strategy forums. You'll get a much better response there.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just right. He called $150 bet into a $205+$150 pot, when he had 7 outs (15%, 6:1 dog). He sucks.

Check/call the river to save yourself some $$.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Check/call the river to save yourself some $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Your river bet is a bluff. Fold to a shove.