Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Default WAS I RIGHT???????

I was in a MTT SitnGo ($5 + .50) 45 people tourney on Fulltilt. Blinds were 80/160 and my chip stack was at 3470. I was in the small blind with 60 invested and my opponent with 2745 chips in Middle position makes it 320 to go. I had A4 of clubs and decided to call out of position. Most of the time his raises were directly proportional to his hands so I figured he didn't have much of a hand. Plus, he played the wrong hands in the wrong positions. I wanted to see if I could get lucky I guess. The big blind with 6660 called the raise as well. Three players to the flop...
Flop comes 5c 4d Kc...

Which gave me bottom pair with the nut Flush draw...

I check... BB checks... Preflop raiser makes a pot size bet of 960 so he was pretty invested in the hand and i put him on AK or KQ... I had 15 outs which gave me about a 56% chance of making a better hand by the river so I figured I was the favorite there and he would pay me off anyway if I made my hand. I decided to go all in hoping that fold equity would do its job but he called and showed a K of spades and a Q of hearts. ...

The Turn is Qh...

River is 6h...

My hand never improved and i was severely short stacked after that....

I want to know if my move was the right one or not...

Can someone please help me out here?
The hand has been haunting my soul all day.... Was i right? [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Was I right?

Looks like you are playing the wrong hands in the wrong positions too. I would fold this pre flop as you are oop with a very weak kicker, are you going to stack off when an ace flops?

where you got to though his bet is effectively an all in with the amount the has behind looking like will call any reraise(this is debateable) so i don't think you have any fold equity here. so essentially it comes down to the maths: you are paying 2420 to see a pot of 3380(assuming he calls repop), I no way think that you have 15 outs here, you already said you had put him on AK, i think you are looking at 10-12 max. i have no facilities now to do the calculations but that i think is what the hand comes down to. i am leaning towards a push. thoughts?

p.s Qh in hand and on board
Old 05-03-2007, 12:27 PM

sorry he had the queen of spades...
Old 05-03-2007, 12:33 PM

uh, your play is fine, but if you think he raises small preflop with weak hands, your best play is to reraise and take the pot away
Old 05-03-2007, 12:47 PM

I wouldn't have played this hand in this situation, but if I were to play it, I would raise preflop. I agree that there is no way you can view this as a 15 out situation. Seems like 11 outs to me. But, regardless, this is exactly the type of flop you were looking for when you decided to try to get lucky, so your push seems correct. I just would not have tried to get lucky in this situation.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 PM

I think that if i raised preflop.. I would have gotten a call either way... The stakes are too small and players seem to get married to their hands...
Old 05-03-2007, 01:44 PM

If you think that is true then you should play tight because you know your big hands will get paid off. Alot of people playing in these low buy in tourneys will call a re-pop if they raised or just called the blind. I would have also folded this hand preflop, I used to lose quite a bit of money out of the SB because I played to many hands and I am plugging that leak. Remember that at this level many of your opponents are raising and calling the blind with Ax, and calling a re-raise. Not only will you not know whether you are outkicked or not, but you will not know whether your opponent hit two pair with his Ax. When your opponents are loose, play tight and value bet your good hands like crazy.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 PM

Another thing to consider is that after he makes his bet on the flop and you put him on AK or KQ, you have to consider that some of your fifteen outs are gone. If he has AK, then you do not have your 3 A outs, you only have the 4s and the clubs.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:17 PM

Default prolly not

I probably would have opted to lead out for 475 on the flop. If you take away the preflop raisers opportunity to make his c-bet (regardless of whether or not he hit), you can usually get them to flat call. If they end up hitting the flop like he did wit KQ, they might also try and get 'cute' and smooth call the 475. If at that point you airball the turn, you can check/re-evaluate. Any bet here from the villain with one card to come could also make it a little easier to let the club draw go. As an added bonus, if the player is tricky he might think you lead out on the flop with air and me might check behind you on the turn "knowing" his KQ is good. River's a freebee and you don't have to commit more than 1k chips total. Letting him bet 960 was the problem (beisdes entering the pot with A4s)
Old 05-03-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that if i raised preflop.. I would have gotten a call either way... The stakes are too small and players seem to get married to their hands...

[/ QUOTE ]
then fold preflop

of course, this contradicts what you wrote earlier